PDA

View Full Version : Tool path question

bmcnabb
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Is there a way to manually select the tool path you want in part works? When I let the software tool path my part, it jumps all over the place. Is there a way to tell the software cut this contour first, this second, and so on?

erik_f
03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
It would be a pain, but you could do them as different tool paths and then order them yourself.

gerald_martin
03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Brandon - you've raised a very good question - I've wondered the same, isn't there a way to manually order the segments of a v-carve toolpath for files we use often where time/efficiency is critical?

If there is a way to do this I'm not aware of it, Erik's idea would work but very tedious.

Any input from Vectric here? If we shift-select individual vectors will the software respect this ordering?

Gerald

knight_toolworks
03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
it will somewhat cut in the order you select parts. one at a time. if you just select all you get some random jumping.

bmcnabb
04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I did an experiment with a production order and made two cut files. The first file I selected everything with one big box and got a random cutting file. The second one, I selected everything in the order I wanted it to cut and still got the exact same tool path as the first. I think it's too random especially with production work in which speed saves money.

Gary Campbell
04-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Brandon...
You will not get a computer generated operation to think like a human. Nesting, toolpath order, the list goes on. Wont ever happen. If you have a production cutting operation, it is always best to manually toolpath all of the operations in the correct order for the best efficiency. If it is a repetitive, often used file, then in order to tweak it, you may have to open the file with an editor to manually remove any unnecessary movements. We have made some serious time reductions on long cutting files by doing this. Our most efficient files have every machine movement hand coded.
Gary