View Full Version : Artcam Pro V7 Compatability

stargategfx
04-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Ran into an interesting problem today.
I am currently taking Artcam Pro 7 for a test drive before spending my children's college tuition on the program.
Because my design station and Shopbot are a few miles apart I will design a project, save the .ART and the Shopbot part file onto a flash memory key and take it to the Shopbot.
Once there if I have to make any changes to the file I cannot open the .Art file in parts wizard.
Has anybody found a CONVENIENT work around for this problem?
I know I could edit the file through the SB Editor but these are somewhat complex projects and so far it has been faster for me to drive back to our art department and revise the files there.
The message I get when trying to open the .Art file on Parts Wizard is that Parts Wizard cannot open a file from a newer version of Artcam.

daveiannone
04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Boyd,
I guess you've considered loading Artcam on the Shopbot computer and carrying the dongle back and forth with you, to be able to use it where ever you are...

DaveI

stargategfx
04-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Dave, yes I have considered it but it really would be a pita, and if by chance you lose it then you are really hooped.
What I really can't fathom is why these software developers can't or won't clue into the fact that most design is done on one computer and another is employed to run a plotter or cnc device, and for what these guys are charging for this you think they might come up with a serious discount for a second dongle.
Whew...there,...I feel better now.

Mayo
04-30-2004, 01:16 AM
I don't think Parts Wizard is designed to handle "complex projects" like the full blown Artcam is capable of. My understanding of Parts Wizard is that it is a stripped down version of Artcam. So what you are trying to do may be similar to trying to open a fancy MS Word document using Notepad. So even if Parts Wizard could open the file, it wouldn't have the same toolset for making your changes, and probably won't recognize various parts of the file.

stargategfx
04-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Mayo, you are right, PW is a very basic version of Artcam Insignia, but the changes I would sometimes make "on the fly" are usually something as simple as changing the depth of a certain cut or re-setting the feed rate of a bit.
As a new Shop Bot owner maybe I am missing a procedure that is very obvious to you veterans.
I am not talking about major changes to a file, just some minor tweaking.

billp
04-30-2004, 07:36 AM
We got to see a preview of "Part Wizard 2" at the Jamboree, and I think everyone is in for a pleasant surprise.. They have added a LOT of new features, and it is going to be a very powerful design tool for most applications. Obviously they couldn't incorporate every feature of Insignia into it, but they sure loaded it up! I think the universal reaction at the presentation was that it's now really going to let most people complete their projects without having to swap files from other programs.
NO they did not add any more fonts to the 10 which were originally there, but that's why there is an upgrade path for those who really need more than ten., But the vector editing tools alone are MORE than worth the upgrade price which was stated as $100 for those owning PW1.
I think a combination of PW2 and Millwizard will now let most 'Botters do an incredibly wide variety of 2/3D projects at a very reasonable price....

daveiannone
04-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Boyd,
I agree with you totally on the dongle issue, and I certainly understand the manufactuer's reason for them, but I have had Insignia since it came out and I OFTEN take design work home with me. I contacted Delcam and asked what would happen if I were to lose or damage the dongle.I was told: damaged -they would replace for $75
lost- would be another $3000 !!! Soooo its like carrying 3000 bucks in cash home with me, but theres not enough hours in a day, so I'll just be careful..
Dave I

gerald_d
05-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Bill, does your very last sentence imply that PW has become 3D capable? Or is that where the Millwizard comes in?

billp
05-01-2004, 08:06 PM
PW2 is for the 2D, and Millwizard is for the 3D...