PDA

View Full Version : Vector Question

zeke
06-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Quick question, does everything have to be converted to a vector before cutting? A circle for example? If that is the case, which icon is best suited to convert a circle to a vector?

andyb
06-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Zeke,
The short answer to your question, yes. Objects have to be vectors to cut. The long answer is, if you draw the circle in Partworks it is already a vector. Using any of the drawing tools in Partworks is drawing a vector. Opening or importing files like EPS, DXF or AI are all vector format files. If you import a JPG or BMP file then it has to be traced to create the vectors. Does that make since?

Andy B.

zeke
06-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Very clear, thanks! I was also looking at the Partworks help manual to understand what stepover is and it wasn't explicit where the "edit tool" section was. I found the keyword stepover in other areas and it sounds like it represents the cutting path overlapping a parallel path in which case for a circle, I don't guess I need to do anything with it. Am I on the right track?

andyb
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Zeke,
You're on the right track. Changing the stepover depends on the bit you are using and what you are using it for. For 3D work I do I use a stepover of 5% to 10% on a 1/8" ballnose. It depends on the wood I'm using. For a 1/4" endmill for pocketing I use a stepover of anywhere between 25% to 60%. It all depends what you are trying to do. You will get the hang of it and learn little things that work for you depending on your project. I'm learning everyday. You can really get a wealth of info using the search. Any question you will have has most likely be answered before on the forum. It use the search often myself. You can find the Google custom search at www.talkshopbot.com (http://www.talkshopbot.com).

Andy B.