PDA

View Full Version : Understanding DXF/DWG drawing to part wizard toolpath process...

jeff_albro
06-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I've started trying to create tool paths using the demo version of Part Wizard based upon some AutoCAD drawings. I have a few questions/things I'd like to confirm.

1) Part wizard doesn't understand AutoCAD layers? It seems all lines get dumped into one layer. I often have alignment lines in my drawings in another layer. I guess I need to save a version without those lines?

2) Without the layers, how do people represent different depths in a drawing? If I'm sending someone a drawing, do I have to give them a seperate file with notations?

3) It looks like I may need to draw the TOOLPATH vectors in AutoCAD rather the draw the PART in some situations. For instance, to create a step-down on the end of a board, say to create a lap-joint. If I just have a line representing the step, I can use the "pocket" method, but it won't cut across the sides and cut out the corners. Instead I need to create a fake , oversized area, to clean out the 4 corners.

Thanks for any tips and feedback!

-Jeff

Brady Watson
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Jeff,
You are correct. You cannot use different color vectors in PW to represent different layers. You should export each layer from AutoCAD as it's own DXF and import as needed. i understand that there is a way to use the different colored vectors in the SB control software to assign different depths. I have never done this, or required this, but know it exists.

You can send your files to the client in AutoCAD format with the layers. They have no need to know what toolpathing software or methods you are using in PW to make the part...Just as long as it turns out on spec.

You can create "toolpath vectors" in AutoCAD or PW and use the 'Machine Along Vector" functionality to cut a dado, rabbet or curved pockets. You will have to offset your toolpath vector to be 1/2 the diameter of the bit. In other words, if you are creating a 3/4" rabbet on a panel, you will have to place a line to machine with a 3/4" bit, let's say, 3/8" outside of the panel extents. Machine Along Vector is great for when you just need a rabet or step on the ends of a panel etc.

If you want to create a rabbet around an entire rectangular panel, simply import your vectors, ungroup, select your panel and using the offset tool, offset it 3/8". You can then do an OUTSIDE profile cut at 3/8" deep to create your rabbet. This is of course using a 3/4" bit. You will have to consider offset according to bit diameter.

Hope that answers your questions,
-Brady

jeff_albro
06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Brady!

I looked and couldn't find a command to use colored vectors to assign different depths in PW.

-Jeff