PDA

View Full Version : .sbp to part wizard

pete
08-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Anyone have a method of reverse engineering .sbp files to part wizard or another CAD program - thanks, Pete

bill.young
08-28-2005, 11:27 AM
It's one of the options in the File convertor [FC] in the newest versions of the ShopBot software...you can convert sbp files to either dxf or G-code

pete
08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks Bill. Actually, I'm trying to reverse engineer your coffee cabinet .sbp files to be able to cut on my alpha 48 (I have to nest the parts differently on my 48 than you did on your 48x96 for obvious reasons ( I only get half a door on my 48x48 - a little shopbot humor there). Anyway, the FC conversion is not very clean unless I am doing it incorrectly. Pete

bill.young
08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey Pete,

I tried a couple of them and they seemed to open correctly in Part Wizard...what files are you having conversion troubles with and what are you trying to open them with?

Don't forget that what you're seeing is the toolpath and not the actual shape of the parts...you'll need to use the "machine along vectors" option in Part Wizard.

Bill

trakwebster
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Bill Young said: 'It's one of the options in the File convertor [FC] in the newest versions of the ShopBot software...you can convert sbp files to either dxf or G-code.'

I ask: Is it possible that a probed point cloud which has been rendered into an .sbp file can then be backed up to .dxf and CADified? Will this work in 2D? In 3D?

(It soundeth too goodeth to be trueth.)

ron brown
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
That has been true for as long as I can remember.

Ron

bill.young
09-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Arthur,

If your sbp file is from a 2d object then using the Convertor [FC] method would do what you want. You could also probe it using the 2d dxf polyline option in the Copy Machine to avoid the converting step.

If it's 3d however...and you have an sbp output file, not one of the dxf flavors...then try using Bruce Clark's "Probe to Surface Translator" under the Tools menu item to create a surface from your output file.

Bill