View Full Version : Now available....

davidallen
04-25-2003, 11:27 PM
is there a 'family tree' of the shopbot models?

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
04-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi David,

Consider this a draft 'family tree'. I'm going to check up on dates, prices, and numbers sold to fill in the info ... will probably fill in a few more details as well:

\Original Cable-Drive ShopBots (most 96x48)
-utilility strut carriages, patio door roller wheels, aircraft cable
-virtually all parts available at hardware store
-120 to 180 oz motors
-threaded rod Z drive
-most 12v

\PR ('Personal Robot') ShopBots
-utility strut carriages, high quality B-W bearings on X & Y cars
-Rack and Pinion Drive systems, all but first few with 300oz, gearhead motors (spur gear) on X&Y
-ball screw Z drive
-most 28v
.........\Availabe in several sizes
.........\Ball Screw drive X&Y 'table top' version

\PRT ('Personal Robotic Tool') ShopBots, The Blue Tools (ALL CURRENT MODELS)
-steel carriages and ground ways, B-W bearings throughout
-rack & pinion drive all axes
-300 oz tapered-hob, low-backlash gearheads all axes, microstepped (first year used direct drive 900oz motors)
-44v
.........\Bench Top Version (26"x32")
.........\Sizes to 30'
.........\PRT-Plasma cutter with mechanical, electrical, electronic and software modifications and enhancements for metal work

gerald_d
04-27-2003, 11:02 PM
A very interesting thread! Ted, do you run a record of serial numbers/dates on the control boards?

toys
04-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Ted, what about your first trys. Didn't you make a tool out of plywood? It would be neat to see pictures of the Shopbots evolution.

scott_smith
04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Any updates to the history lesson?

I have a 2002 PRT at work and just set up an Alpha for someone in trade for his 1999? PR machine that I’m setting up at home. The improvements form PR to PRT to Alpha are impressive! Great job ShopBot!

Scott
P.S. Any advice from PR owners? I hope it’s ok that I ground the grooves form the B-W rollers out of the strut carriages. Wow, the “door” rollers that are used for hold-downs are really shot! Off to Home Depot.

One more question. The PR has a HUGE 28v (after market I think) power supply. Any one know the current required if I find a smaller replacement?

ron brown
04-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Scott,

You need to check with ShopBot but, I think you can upgrade to 48V on that board. One can also get the +12V and +5V to supply the control board, but not the drivers, from your computer powersupply if it is large enough.

Ron

Davidrid (Unregistered Guest)
04-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Seem i have # 58 and it's a cable drive. not for sure when i purchased it but it was before a price increase. The best i can remember it was around $2000.00 I believe ted used the lcd panel on the front of the computer case to number them back then. Mine has 58 glowing and it still runs quit well. As a matter of fact i cut out some legs for a Table today..

David Ridenhour