View Full Version : I can't draw for anything could someone help

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I swear my drawing skills are worthless.
I got somewehat what I want but it was not all that great. I want to mill a simple grid on my tabletop. I want a 6" x6" grid on a 96"x48" table. I need a 4x8" line since my surface is 97x49 then filled with a 6" grid so it is easy to place parts. I have a somewhat usable version but the toolpats are all over and backtrack a lot. I can do the bit and all that if I could just get the pattern draw. also could use centered on the crossings holes of .31 diamiter. I could never get the two to line up. but it would be nice to have seperate fiels because I don't need the holes often. can anyone help a drawing dunce?

myxpykalix
04-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm a bit confused by your description here. There are several grid pattern files already made that are either in partwizard or control software (forget exactly where) so you don't have to start from scratch. It will allow you to place your holes where you want within the various grids.

Here is it: C:\SbParts\Vacuum
check those out and let me know if you still have questions. If you don't have those files i'll send them to you.

myxpykalix
04-23-2007, 01:37 AM
also there are other configurations out there. Do a search for "BradyVac" that might net you other files, or seach here for "vacumn plenums"

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 01:56 AM
looks like one would work if I could change it a bit. but how it edit it visually. but the ones I checked out are 4 zones. I don't want zones just straigt lines. I could really use it in parts wizzard format.

myxpykalix
04-23-2007, 02:17 AM
not sure if this will work but try this file it is brady vac. You may nedd to change file extension to exe. Don't know if this forum will change it. If it doesn't work i'll email it

4205 (36.9 k)

Brady Watson
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Steve,
If you bought a new machine from ShopBot in the last year, you should have received a 4+ hr training video on the PartWizard software.
If you haven't received it with your tool purchase, you can buy a copy directly from ShopBot or www.cncvideos.com (http://www.cncvideos.com)

-B

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
bradly vac is pretty close. it seems to be a bit smaller in outside size then 8x4 but it is hard to tell.
one thing I don't know of is how deep it is cutting? how do you set that in the control console I know how to do it in parts wizzard.

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
been going over the video's still stuff to learn of course. I got it drawn out but had some problems I could not solve. I could jsut make squares and copy them that works but then you have a ton of overlapping vectors. Drawing is the hardest part for me I have always done it all in my head.

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I thin kthe brady vac is right on. it's hard to tell in preview if it is right on the edges.
I just got the drawing figured out and accurate too. but it cuts squares on at a time instead of travelling x then y. I tried grouping the lines x's together and y's and it sitll cuts boxes.
so much to learn so little time. it's my birthday today and I will be on the bot all day. rather do that then go to the movies like I usually do.

Brady Watson
04-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Steve,
The easiest way to make your own vac grid is to create a model the size of your spoilboard. Then create horizontal and vertical lines across the screen using the Block/Copy tool. Then, just do a Machine Along Vector strategy & you're all set.

Be sure to take into consideration your bit size & how much meat will be left around each zone. I like to shoot for a 1/2" border around all zones, giving me 1/2" at the front edge and 1" in between zones.

Making/figuring out how to draw and toolpath a vac grid is VERY GOOD training for yourself...Be careful about taking the easy way out and just pulling an existing grid down and cutting it. Trust me...when you burn a little brain energy figuring it out, it pays in spades later when you REALLY need to rely on those skills to make a buck.

-B

knight_toolworks
04-23-2007, 12:44 PM
thats what I did. I had trouble with the x lines were sticking out one side too much. but I finally got it. the problem with that is the toolpaths suck they are squares so it will take awhile to machine. since I am only cutting out .07 deep lines I want to go fast. because every time I surface the spoilboard iwill need to redo them.
I tried grouple the x together then the y's then the border but they are still cout out as squares. maybe I am missing how to do it right? the bradyvac does it right oll x then all y but hwo do you set cut depth with a toolptath file?

Brady Watson
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Steve,
I think you may have understood the vacuum grid concept and the difference between a traditional grid, like those used with the professional pumps that SB sells, and the BradyVac grid, which is geared towards smaller shops and setups.

A traditional grid typically consists of 3 layers: Your support board, which is made of plywood, your vacuum grid, made of MDF sealed with epoxy or polyurethane etc, and then a bleeder board, typically made of Trupan ultralight or ultrilight MDF. Those layers are listed from the bottom up. The vacuum sucks right thru the Trupan and your bit should never touch the grid.

In the BradyVac system, a single sheet of Trupan ultralight or ultralight MDF is used, along with a single hole in your spoilboard for the vacuum hose to plug into. Cut a 2.26" hole in the center of the table (or appropriately sized hole for you vacuum). I recommend at least one FEIN brand vac model 9-77-25. It typically pulls 2X what most other vacs pull, is industrial rated and is very quiet.

You take a single sheet of UL MDF or Trupan UL and you machine a grid into it about .25" deep. You then ----> FLIP THE ENTIRE SHEET OVER <---- and the grid goes over the vac hole, and distributes the vacuum across the face of the Trupan. You machine the top flat, about .04" deep to break thru the paper and you're ready to go. It's all very simple and you will be amazed at how well it works. Also, be sure to edge band or aluminum-tape the edges of the Trupan to prevent leakage.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

-B

knight_toolworks
04-24-2007, 02:33 AM
I wanted a grid to align parts on the top. not ready for vacuum yet.