PDA

View Full Version : Vcarvepro vs idiot

lleyens
10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello, I need mental help now... Background info. I have an old pr96 that I bought from a friend that had been abandonded for quite a while. I have spent the better part of a month rebuilding it with new linear rails on top of the unistruts for nostalgic interest, a new complete z axis and the new 4g controller. Everything is tight, square an measures out perfectly. A few days ago I purchased Vcarve Pro and have spent easily 30 hours trying to write my wifes name in a piece of wood for her classroom and for her forgiveness of all of the time I have been spending in the shop! Everytime I create the file in Vcarve and save it (shopbot files and g code files) and open in shopbot the preview screen and coordinates all look great. But it cuts the letters on top of each other and the code seems to reflect this... I keep thinking its happening when I calculate the code in Vcarve and save it. Its not translating to my controller right.... I have read many threads looking for somone else that has had the same problem nothing so far... I have cut the same mistake fifty times now... all look identical and wrong!!! I feel stupid and think its something simple... Anyone out there can help with my needed sanity??? Laurence

mark_stief
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Are you sure that you have the right post selected for your machine

tmerrill
10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Laurence,

You also need to verify your unit values are correct for your machine.

Have you tried to make some simple cuts and measure to verify they are correct? For example, design and cut a small square and circle. If the machine isn't cutting these correctly, your unit values could be wrong. Be sure to include Z movement in your measurements.

The preview feature in VCP is a very powerful tool and isn't wrong. So if your screen preview is correct, but your machine doesn't cut it the way it looks in preview mode, then the problem has to be with the post processor, machine setup or machine mechanical.

Tim

gene
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
When you save the file are you saving it as shopbot/arc/in processor in the v carve list of processors?
Hope this helps

jerry_stanek
10-26-2009, 07:02 AM
When you move the gantry does it move the correct distance? On my old pr I had to change the values when I changed to the 4g. My values went up. If you want to try the values I use give me an email?

lleyens
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you for the responses last night I wasn't expecting that! My gantry moves very accurately, my unit values for x and Y are 25xx.xxxx and my z axis is 40xx.xxxx I am using the original Vectra motors.

Yes I can make a box or a circle or even a single letter and they measure perfectly. When I run the vcarve file lets say its designed as 20 inches it cuts it in about a 6 inch area... My file was "Mrs. Leyens" and the cut was Mrs. in one space and Leyens in the next space. The letters are cut on top of each other almost perfectly. Its like the file doesn't tab..

Ill go down to the shop in a little while and can take photos of the file and the outcome if that will help. Ive tried saving the vcarve file as just about every shopbot file and the g-code files as well. Same cutting output every time. Ill run a few more simple cuts and document them with outputs to re-verify again. But I have tested the output measurements of the machine quite a bit. Thanks Laurence

srwtlc
10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Laurence, any chance you can post your Vcarve file to download (most likely to large for this forum, but could try zipping it up)?

Posting your .sbp file would be helpful too.

lleyens
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Ill try! about two hours from now Thanks!

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Laurence

Since your are getting accurate cuts this may not apply. But I have an older PRT machine with 4G upgrade and the unit values for X and Y are 1833.465 and for Z it is 2291.831. These come from the updated configuration files for an older PRT with 4G. I don't see a different file for a PR.

Also, have you verified you're not set for metric units in your job setup menu in VCP or using a metric post processor?

Tim

Edit: one final thought. you will get better support for VCP on the Vectric forum, plus the forum allows larger pictures/files to be posted. I would recommend you join and start following that forum in addition to this one, if you're not already.

lleyens
10-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Here are some photos.... Ill make some simple files and cut and measure and photo next...

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Nice job on the upgrade!

Other than the difference in X,Y and Z Unit Values, my machine has all the alpha step multipliers set to 1. You have 4. I have no idea if our machines even use this or not, but worth a try.

I think the next step is get the .crv and .sbp file in our hands.

Tim

lleyens
10-26-2009, 02:09 PM
The actual cut area is roughly 11.5 inches by 7 5/8 inches the preview screen in vcarve shows it at 13 by 1 3/4

lleyens
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok thanks! Got a meeting but as soon as Im done I will copy and zip file. Will try the alpha number change too... thought this only applied to units with alpha motors... Laurence

harold_weber
10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Laurence, it looks like the individual letter cuts are OK, just not in the right place. Is the capital M the right size? If yes then what are your Jog Speeds? The machine will try to Jog between letters. If the machine cannot Jog as fast as you specify, then you might get such a result.

Also, can you post a photo of your Ramp Speeds Screen (the screen that comes up when you type VR).

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Harold,

That's why we need to see his files. I did a sample using his overall size and the only jogs were from 0,0 to start of cut and between the words. There were none between the individual letters within the same word.

Tim

lleyens
10-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey, sorry about the delay, meeting was tough.... My jog speed is 12.5 for x/y and 3 for z

Got figure out how to capture code and zip to upload, my next task tonight! Thanks

lleyens
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
See if this file copies...

Code (part 1)
leyens.txt (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/leyens-47452.txt) (24.0 k)

Code (part 2)
leyens2.txt (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/leyens2-47453.txt) (27.3 k)

harold_weber
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Laurence, those Jog speeds seem high to me, but I have no experience with those stepper motors you show.

Just try an experiment by cutting BOTH jog speeds to about 1/3 of your posted values and let us know if that helps any.

harold_weber
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe I should not be assuming that you are working in inches per second when you report an X-Y Jog speed of 12.5.........

IF you really mean 12.5 inches per second, then even the max recommended jog speed for the brand new PRS Standard is only 10 inches per second. (see the last page of the current price list for the specifications)

tmerrill
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Laurence

I re-combined your two .sbp files and ran it through the ShopBot previewer and it looks perfect. This should eliminate everything except the mechanics of you machine. There are many jogs in your file and I think Harold is correct in saying your jog speeds are much too high. Your machine cannot jog that fast and is loosing position. Recommend you try Harold's suggestion and see if things improve.

Tim

lleyens
10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks! I will re run it tomorrow morning and see what happens! Ya'll have been great help!!!! I feel like I just met a whole bunch of new friends. I hope I can return the favor one day... Ill report back after the next run.

Laurence

lleyens
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Well final report! Its working great now... The problem ended up being the multiplier under unit values. I dont have Alpha motors and the number 4 that is illustrated above was the culprit. I put 1 in as advised above and its working!!! So Tim is the winner!!! Im wondering if the number should be .5 because the motor label indicates .5/step??? Anyway Im a happy camper now Thank you again!