View Full Version : Cabinet Vision Software

rockytops
11-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Can anyone recommend design to manunfacturing software specifically for cabinet manufacture using Shopbot?
We are looking at Cabinet Vision software but are hoping someone can point us at a program that is a little less pricy.
Thanks
Doug

ron_cleaver
11-19-2003, 11:18 AM
I wrote a ShopBot (.sbp) program to cut the parts from sheet goods (3/4" MDF in my case). It's a simple iterative program that's less than a half a page of code. Each time I need a part of different dimensions, I copy one of the files to a new name and change the parameters for x & y.

I've considered making it more general by either reading a file of parameters or asking the user to enter sheet size, length, width, bit diameter.

With a little more work, it could even optimize the number of parts cut from a sheet.

Why buy software when it's so easy to write your own?

ckurak
11-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Ron,

Does your software handle blind dadoes and shelf-pin holes?

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
11-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Ron,

I'd be interested in looking at your program. I write AutoLISP for autocad, shopbot its similar to it.

I'm also looking for a good site for dovetail layout drawings, and dimensions. If anyone knows of a good place to find the math for dovetails, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Jay

ron_cleaver
11-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Charles,

No it doesn't do blind dadoes or shelf-pin holes. But it could be modified for that.

I used Vector to create a file that drills holes. But that means you have to place the part on the table again. I also used a single command (CR) to create a raised panel effect with a plunge panel bit.

I've been thinking of incorporating other optional cuts like the ones you mention, to produce the finished part at one time, but that would mean changing bits.

I've also been considering making an inexpensive product of this, by using VB.NET to generate sbp files. That should make it much easier to use and enhance. If there's enough interest here, I'll give it more thought. Because of that, I don't want to release the code yet.