PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 3D Studio Max Shape files??

andrewm
01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I am trying to export 2D shape files from 3D Studio Max to bring into Parts Wizard to make tool paths. The DXF and AI exports don't seem to work. I can export to DXF and bring them into Corel then export from Corel Draw, but I loose my dimension data and have to resize the parts.

I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully done this? The 3D models can be exported to MillWizard, but I am looking for a way to just do 2D vector files.

I am new to the Shopbot but as 3D Animator for over 10 years I can draw stuff in 3D Studio Max about as quickly as I can sketch with a pencil. 3DS Max actually has some really nice 2D spline creation tools. Though I could learn another software, I was hoping I wouldn't have to. (Not to mention my investment in the 3D Studio software.)

andrewm
01-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Figured it out. DXF didn't seem to work. Parts Wizard didn't seem to like the DXF file or AI. Outputting to DWG file did work with everything on one layer. In fact it worked very well.

I also spent some time today playing with FreeMill and it seemed to work pretty well with 3D Studio outputting 3D STL files. I haven't cut one yet, but have run it through the preview. Has anyone played with this program? How does it compare with MillWizard?