PDA

View Full Version : Simple table leg question

mtills
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a routercrafter and want to make a table leg. I simply want to make a part file that moves along the x and will go up and down on the z as I move it along the table leg. How do I do that?

bill.young
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Matt,

The easiest thing might be to create your profile toolpath as a standard 2d file and then cut it as an XY file with the side of the bit, instead of as an XZ file with the end of the bit. Would that work for your shape? If not I've got a utility that will do the axis flip...send me an email.

Bill

cabindoors
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Matt,

I thought about the same thing alot but haven't tried it yet. Similiar to Bill's idea, couldn't you just right an XY file and then, once the shopbot code is available, just change all the "Y" move commands to "Z" commands.

Tom

mikejohn
03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
The ShopBot will cut Arcs in the x/y plane.
Change y to z and the shopbot will not cut the arc. You would need to change the arc to many short lines.
I dont know in other Cad programs, but in AutoCad you simple draw it in the x/z (front) plane,(or draw from the top then rotate 90º around the x axis) You still have to change any vertical arcs into many straight lines.
.............Mike

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 01:11 AM
....or plug the y-cable into the z-axis motor....

mikejohn
03-01-2006, 03:29 AM
...but don't forget to change your unit values

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 06:51 AM
...and switch everything off first.....

We don't mess with the unit values when we do this, we just change the scale value - sometimes using a minus scale to change direction.

mikejohn
03-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Do you con the ShopBot to cut verticle arcs this way?

.........Mike

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Of course. We got tired of standing it up on its side.

No, not really. We have never had a call for a vertical arc that Vector couldn't interpolate.

Was done for templates where we wanted crisp 90 degree internal corners.