PDA

View Full Version : Tool Path Problem

thewoodcrafter
11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I have not been doing this very long and need some help.
I can't get Part Wizard to draw a tool path on the correct side of a line. I have 4 corbels nested out on 3/4" material. Some tool paths are O.K. and some aren't. How do I get the tool path around the outside of all 4?
I tried attaching the file but it is too big.

thewoodcrafter
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I zipped the Part Wizard file.

4Corbels
4Corbels.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/4Corbels-16423.zip) (9.0 k)

Brady Watson
11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Roger...CLOSED & CLEAN vectors are the name of the game with CNC. How old is your tool? Did you get a copy of the 4hr+ PW2 video with your tool? If you did, it's only good if you actually watch it!
If not, ShopBot sells the video seperately.

I made some adjustments in your file, all vectors are now closed. I see that most of the sections are comprised of arcs. On shapes like these, you would really benefit from using bezier curves (French curves). Arcs will cause you difficulty when trying to do certain shapes. I did the exact same things that you were doing when I got started...I thought that the bezier curves were funny and stupid...why use a 2-handled curve when I can just use 1 with an arc? The reason being, the bezier fits better. It is rare that I use arcs anymore.

Also, grouping vectors (violet color) does not effectively close the shape. You really need to select one portion of the design and make sure that it is closed all the way around. You should see one green node and NO OTHER nodes when it is closed. If you see a red/black node, then it is still open. Use the tools in PW to close it or join to other shapes.

You should be asking yourself this question when you are ready to toolpath: Does this shape hold water? In other words, are there any places where it would 'leak'? You can only toolpath open vectors with the Machine along vectors strategy. Every other type of toolpath relies on closed vectors.

Hope that helps...See attached.

-Brady

Brady Watson
11-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I missed the fact that you had 'inside' selected in the Profile TP...I fixed that...Also, you want to select Conventional in most cases, and not Climb.

-B

4Corbels.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/4Corbels-16431.zip) (7.5 k)

thewoodcrafter
11-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks Brady.
I am in too much of a hurry to finish watching the vidio. Maybe I should slow down. I have been going v-carving with V-Carve Pro and it tells you OPEN VECTORS. I should have known that.
Thanks for the help.