PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Flutes

wardsa
07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm trying out the trial version of VCP. Can anyone tell me how to cut a series of flutes inside a oval. I want to dish out the oval .125, the put horizonal flutes .375 deep inside the oval. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks, Terry

fleinbach
07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
What size is the oval?

What width do you want the flutes?

Curved or straight flutes?

wardsa
07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
The oval is to be 48" X18" with a 4" frame, so their is an inner oval that is to be 40" X 10". The flutes will run horizonally inside the smaller oval. The smaller oval is to be cleared out .125 deep, then the flutes would be cut in. The size of the flutes are not critical right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to create it. The flutes would probably be .375 X .375, or something like that.
Thanks, Terry

fleinbach
07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Set material zero to Top

Select inner oval

Select Pocket toolpath then end mill bit you want

Set depth to .125

Hit Calculate. Tool path will be generated.

Now for the flutes select Profile toolpath

Select Ballnose bit possibly .375

Select Machine vector "On" ( to follow center of vector)

make start depth .125 (the depth of your area clear previously)

Make cut depth .375 if that is the depth you want your flutes to be.

The flutes will be .375 deep since they will start at the surface of the .125 area clear.

fleinbach
07-17-2007, 07:22 AM

fleinbach
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM

wardsa
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Frank,
Thanks for the detail, but maybe I'm not making myself clear. I kind'a understand the toolpath part. It's getting the flutes on the part in the design phase. When drawing or designing the part, how do you place flutes or vectors to be fluted on the piece. What you are showing is exactly what I want to do (many more flutes), I just can't figure out how to draw them in.
Thanks, Terry

fleinbach
07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Terry, look at the second picture. The flute path is the dotted straight lines.

Just draw straight lines as many as you want.

The round nose bit center point will follow the straight line.

If you draw your lines 1" apart and use a .375 bit your flutes will be .625" apart. If you wanted to space them say .25" apart you need to draw your lines .25(the space between flute) plus the width of the bit .375 equal line spacing .625 inches apart.

When you profile "on" the line the center of the bit follows the line.

wardsa
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Frank,
One last stupid question and then I won't bother you! How do you draw just a straight line? Do you us the Polyline tool? What I thought I was looking for was something to say, OK I want a 20" line centered on X and 4" above and below Y. Then a 21" line centered on X and 3" above and below Y, and so on. I'll work on it. I'm sure playing with it is the best way to learn. Thank you for your direction.
Terry

myxpykalix
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Terry
since a picture is worth a thousand words why don't you draw up in a art program what you are trying to do. The explaination has me confused but a picture might make that "light" go on!

srwtlc
07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Terry,

As for drawing a line, yes, you use the Polyline tool. A box will come up that will allow you to set the first point (X and Y) then add, then the second point (X and Y, angle and length, or direction X and direction Y) and add. You could also just make the line to the desired length and then use the aligning tools to center it.

You can use node edit to specify node location too. Right click on a node and choose properties.

You could then copy/paste or create a mirrored copy and move by filling in the values for the move.

The Trial version may not have some of these options. VCP v4 does.

wardsa
07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Many thanks to Frank and Scott. I finally got it! I know it may not seem like much to most, but I'm sure some of you can remember the first design you got to work. I think I'm gonna like this!
Terry

fleinbach
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry Terry I left for the day but it looks like you got it now. Just keep trying each option and after a while evrything starts becoming crystal clearer.