PDA

View Full Version : LDF to DXF query

bob_lofthouse
12-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions or work arounds on converting LDF files (created with twincam32) to DXF files.

I don't have the twincam32 software which is priced at the high end.

Many thanks

Brady Watson
12-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Robert,
If they can give you an LDF file, then they can give you a generic G-code file. Tell them to prepare it with the smallest cutter possible (and tell them to let you know what that cutter is) and save it as G-code. (See if they can create the G-code using a .001" tool in CAM...then you'll have .001 resolution to the part which will eliminate a lot of editing in PW) Then FC it into an SBP...and convert the SBP to DXF. Then import the DXF created in the converter and clean up any toolpath moves or anomolies that you have found. Keep in mind that there will be a radius at square corners that will have to be corected. Also, when you tell them to create the G-code file MAKE SURE that they set their step-down value to the full depth of the part so that you don't get layers sitting on layers...which is a nightmare to deal with.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

gerald_d
12-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Can you open an .ldf file (with Notepad/Wordpad/etc.) and post a sample here?

bob_lofthouse
12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi Gerald and Brady,

I believe it doesnt produce a seperate file.

I've opened the file with notepad and get the following:-

@ V10*7_R[e `dqJ OR.WTj
H: lN-;:qFYoZTpH)=7>j
afH{e .yEK'

gerald_d
12-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Ouch, my eyes! That's nasty stuff man - and you won't find a converter that will change that to dxf. You will have to go Brady's route and get the cooperation of the Twincam operator to give you a more usable file. Even that may not be possible if the Twincam has been very tightly embedded in a proprietary CNC machine without using standard G-code.