PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Springs

nat_wheatley
09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know of a replacement spring (part number?) for the Z-axis that would support both a spindle and 2 drills. I've unsucessfully ordered/tried several different types. Thanks.

nat_wheatley
09-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Forgot to mention that it's a PRS Alpha with a 20" Z axis.

ron brown
09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Nat,

On one of my 'custom' CNC machines I used an "Air spring". They are available in different lengths and strengths. They are also more linear than a conventional spring.

In one setup, IIRC, I had over 26" of ~35 pound force by using one ~75 pound spring with two lines.

Ron

bleeth
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Nat:

The customer service techs at Century Spring are first rate and their inventory is super.
You'll need weight (close) and the two lengths (relaxed and extended)

www.centuryspring.com (http://www.centuryspring.com)

I did a spring loaded high low table a few years ago with compression springs and they got the right set up recommended for me first time.

eaglesplsh
09-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I second the recommendation for centuryspring.com They have an enormous selection and sell in small quantities - perfect for this application.

I believe you need to call and setup an account with them before you can see pricing/order through their website.

I've also talked to other folks at the camps that purchased replacement springs for their machines through McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)

nat_wheatley
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the posts. (I'd made a post last week, but for some reason it looks like it didn't take.)

Gary C. had passed along this info on springs, and they appear to be working well: McMaster-Carr, Part Number 9640K13.

Thanks again.

pat_wardell
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
The machine I'm using has 43" of Z and an A axis for doing 3D large foam parts. When I took over this machine someone had setup weights and a roller system for a counter balance on Z. It did not work well and was heavy. I found a Tool Balancer Reel on ebay that was adjustable up to arounf 40lbs. This worked very well and it can be adjusted as need.

I keep the reel low and run the cable up to a pully above the Z axis.

Just thought I would give my solution for anyone that may be interested.