PDA

View Full Version : Part wizard error code @ install

andrew_suggs
09-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I am trying to load part wizard on a Dell Latitude CP notebook with Windows 98SE. After choosing "typical" and destination folder I get the following "A read only file C:\windows\system\msvcrt dll was found while attempting to copy files to the destination folder. And the install fails
PS This dell has no cd drive so I have copied the PW cd to a usb jump drive for the install

Brady Watson
09-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Try copying the contents of the thumb drive to a folder on the machine & try again.

scottcox
09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Also after that copy, go into the directory on your hard drive, select all files, right click, choose properties, and verify that they are not "read-only".

Your mileage may vary.

andrew_suggs
09-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Brady & Scott:
Thats exactly what I did in my attempt.I placed a folder on my desk top, and pasted the pw files from jump drive in that folder. I clicked the shop bot exe and ....error box.

Scott: your suggestion: The General Properties tab shows 1515 files.71 folders attributes has archive and hidden box checked, read only box unchecked.

Brady Watson
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Guess you need to go to Walmart and plunk down $35 for a CD-Rom...

-Brady

andrew_suggs
09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Brady
I have installed directly from jump drive on more than one lap top, (IBM ThinkPad with 98SE, for one)without any problems.
This Dell is my first miss. My first instinct is a windows 98 prob. (notice the path of the error msg).
Could there be a component of the OS causing this error??

andrew_suggs
09-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Brady
My 2nd instinct is an old worn/damaged pw cd. I have noticed some minor scratches on my pw cd. Is there any way to acquire the original data via download

Brady Watson
09-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I re-read your post and it sounds to me like 98 is having a conflict between it's existing copy of MSVCRT.DLL residing in system32 & the new one. Try renaming the old one in system32 something like MSVCRTxxx.DLL and then try to install again.

If you are still having problems then you need to contact ShopBot & give them your information. I believe that they can setup the files for you to download or mail you a new disc...that or you can try to link up with another shopbot owner near your location & borrow theirs.

Know anybody with a GameDoctor CD polisher?

-B