PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Facade

boongoon
11-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded the trial of VCarve. I am in the process of evaluating CNCs and will most likely go with the ShopBot Buddy 36". This is something I would like to use it for. I would like to recreate the Yankee Stadium Facade as seen in the picture. I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

http://kubickmedia.com/Yankee%20-%20593%20x%20335.jpg

phil_o
11-19-2008, 09:10 AM
A friend of mine made a Yankee Facade for his home bar. He made it all from individual parts - no CNC work. I plan to make one but I would cut out all of the details on the panel with a Shopbot and add details to the posts with the Bot as well.

keith_outten
11-20-2008, 07:48 AM
My supervisor is a registered Architect, he has just finished creating an AutoCad drawing of the original Yankee Stadium Facade. The effort took a lot of time as there is little information available but he was able to find an original drawing of the facade from the early 1920's and a drawing of the circular stadium plaque that was on the front entrance. A trip to Yankee Stadium to acquire the necessary pictures to compare to the original drawing provided the last bit of information to get the details and the scale. There are some errors in the original drawing based on the actual facade that is installed.

Now we are in the process of deciding how to proceed. There are decisions that have to be made concerning how to move forward with the ShopBot work, which pieces to machine individually and which pieces that can be machined in groups in order to make a scaled down seven group facade that he intends to hang in his new office. Each section will be about 30" long and the entire assembly will be machined from Dupont Corian.

This project will most definitely take some time but I would be glad to share some pictures when it is completed.

boongoon
11-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I would love to see it when you are finished. The original "Frieze" as it was called was made of copper. Being only 34 and never saw the original stadium - pre 1974 - i can only imagine how amazing that must of been. My intention is to have a somewhat accurate replica cut out of on piece with no addition embellishment needed, similar to some of the kits that are sold.

keith_outten
11-21-2008, 04:29 AM
The detail in this design is what makes it so attractive. I will try to stay as true to the design as possible but I know I can't match every detail given the limits of my experience, equipment and software.

They reduced the detail in the new facade, probably to keep the fabrication price down, This is understandable but sad since it is one of the things people think about when they think of Yankee Stadium. I had heard that the first Frieze was made of copper, I believe it went through several modifications through the years before it was replaced.

Most of the reproductions we have seen are terribly inaccurate. My boss has purchased several, each one has some detail that is either missing or incorrect.

I would like to cut ours out of one piece but I haven't figured out how it can be done without 3D software so I may have to break the job into several pieces.

phil_o
11-21-2008, 08:06 AM
If you have a DXF or other format available I'd be willing to provide some input.

keith_outten
11-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Phil,

I would love to share the AutoCad drawing just to see what some of the people here could do with the project. The limitations of my CNC experience will surely cause me to make some mistakes that could be avoided by sharing with a more experienced mentor. Unfortunately the drawing doesn't belong to me and I'm not authorized to share it with anyone at this point.

If my boss changes his mind I will make the file available in a heartbeat, I could use some help.

boongoon
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I work with the son of a long time Yankee from the 40's-50's. He said he only remembers it being green after it was tarnished.