PDA

View Full Version : Switching on and off laser with SB software?

Pat Wren (Unregistered Guest)
05-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Is there an easier way to get a laser to switch on and off with Shopbot?

Right now I'm having to go in and edit the lines in the SBP file that command the "tool" to move up and down to so,2,1 and so,2,0 repsectivly to turn the laser on and off. Getting tedious.. Is there a better way?

paco
05-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Pat!

Have you looked at the/a SBP plasma post?

Posts are editable (depending on the CAD/CAM packages)...

That's a quick answer(s); get back if you need more help.

05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Where is it?

paco
05-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Pat,

look in the "POSTS" folder of the CAD/CAM package you use... which CAD/CAM do you use? You might have a choice there; metric vs standard... "arc or spline"...

05-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi Paco, I'm using corel draw, export to dxf then convert with sb converter. Then I have to edit the file as I explained..

paco
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Okay...

Hummm... how about a MACRO in/for a text editor to search and replace thoses (the plunges and jogs up)...

...or an inserted subroutine (with Header writer) to handle 'em (the plunges and jogs up) with a signal to output (I'm guessing that's what you use)?...

Do you have PW?... or anything that use a post for SBP file?

05-31-2005, 03:37 PM
I've tried the macro thing, kinda a pain, I was hoping SB would have figured out by now that it would be useful for those folks with lasers etc...

bill.young
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Pat,

I've got a program that does just what you want... I use to turn a solenoid on and off depending on MZ or JZ values in a file. Send me an email and I'll send it to you.

Bill

pete
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Pat - what do you use the laser for please - cutting or as a position indicator or ???. thanks, Pete

pat (Unregistered Guest)
06-01-2005, 12:59 PM
cutting, 50 watt CO2 laser

jay
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Pat, I think alot of us would be interested in learning more about your laser set up. Who's laser, is it mounted on a separate z or do you exchange it and a router, what lense set up are you using, etc.?

paco
06-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Right Jay,

any pics Pat?

Have you resolved your "problem"?

richards
06-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Pat,

Have you found a way to modify your sbp files to add the laser-on/laser-off commands? If not, why not post a few before/after lines of the file showing what you're trying to do. I'm fairly certain someone can show you an easy way to do what you need done.

dvanr
06-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Just a word of warning.

If you go the Laser route you have to comply with Occupational Health and Safety. The machine you build has to operate in an enclosure that has ALL access doors to the work surface wired with interlock cutouts for the laser. You will also need ventilation when cutting plastics ( such as PVCs as chlorines are given off during cutting.)

At 5 watts an IR laser in a CTP machine is strong enough to detach a retina faster than you can blink ( as a co-worker discovered) . Take a bit of care with 50 watts.

dvanr
06-20-2005, 02:01 AM
For those that are interested:

There is a good discussion/project thread at cnczone.com involving laser table construction.

Look up thread: New 24 x 48 laser project log

goes for about 12 pages

mikejohn
06-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Hey! Dick.
Plenty of time to visit the Forum now the cricket is finishing in so few overs
Roll on the rest of the summer
............Mike

dvanr
06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
A couple of interesting points on carcinogens , importation of chinese lasers are contained in the above thread.

Gotta try and keep it topical

Hey Mike.

Don't wager the house on the Ashes outcome just yet. By the way has Shame Warne made the headlines there as well?