PDA

View Full Version : PDF to BMP converter

blackhawk
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
On a recent project, I had a pdf of a logo that I needed to carve in Aspire. Aspire wouldn't import the pdf, so I ended up printing out the pdf and then scanning it. My scanner then let me save it as a bmp and i was able to import this into Aspire.

Does anyone have experience with the various software out there for converting pdf files to bmp files?

I tried one of the free converters on the web, but the file it generated sent my virus checker into Defcon 4 mode.

Can this type of conversion process throw off scaling or aspect ratios?

harryball
06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Brad,

I generally take a screen shot of what I want using the snipping tool, save that as a jpg or bmp file and import it that way.

I've tried to open a pdf a few times in Aspire (it is an option under open file) but it's always given me an error of some type about the file not being the right format or containing the right data or some such. I'd forgot it was there.

/RB

rcnewcomb
06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I've run into the same challenge. If the PDF file contains vector data it converts just fine. The issue that you ran into was that the image within the PDF was a bitmap rather than a vector image.

A quick and dirty method to grab the information is:
1) Open the document with Adobe Reader
2) Zoom in/out to get the image to fill most of the screen
3) Press <Alt><Print Screen>
4) Open the Paint program that comes with windows
5) Choose Edit/Paste within the paint program
6) Save the image as a bitmap or JPG
7) Now you can import that image into the Vectric software.

This was discussed briefly here: PDF Discussion on Vectric Forum (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5475)