PDA

View Full Version : Editing Post Processor

butch
12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I just found the ShopBot (Arcs)(Inch)(Alpha_Control)(*.sbp) post processor. I have been using the ShopBot(Arcs)(Inch)(*.sbp). But when the upgrade came out for the 4.6 I had to select a new post processor and selected the (Alpha_Control). It is adding a header and footer to the cut files, such as SO commands and header information. I have been doing this for the VCarve files, which helps keep information for me such as where the Z is zeroed, bits etc. as well as where to position the bit after each cut. I have an Alpha 96, that I purchased a year ago.
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?
Does anyone know if I can make changes to the header and footer information without having to take each file into an editor to make those changes?

Thanks
Butch

paco
12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
It is generally advised to ask the software creator to make the modifications to post processors. There's nothing that prevent you from doing it it yourself, for most package, but you need to know that the change have to be understood and test first. Part Wizard and Part Work posts processors cannot be edit.

'alpha control' posts have SO command added to the header and footer to control the router/spindle on/off and that's pretty much it. Depending on what you need, you may have to adapt your approach to this issue has post editing does not address all individual requirements. If it's something you always change the same way, post editing might be the answer but if the changes you do are not always the same, text editor or Bill Young's various file customizers will be more oriented for individual changes.

If you browse your hard drive folder's up to the software posts and open them in a text editor, you'll be able to study the code, hence get the idea of the layout.

Again, make sure you know and understand the changes you do and work on copy only so you'll be able to recover the original easily.

What do you want/need exactly.

butch
12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Paco
I thought maybe there was a function to edit the post processor. Assume not. I do like the function they have added, or assume have been there. But I generaly approch them in a different order, so thought there was an easy way to edit the functions. I asked the tech, but he assumed I was asking for something else.

thanks Paco
Butch

Gary Campbell
12-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Butch...
David Buchsbaum's next column will deal with customizing a postp for your needs. I could only wish I could help you, but I do know that is going to be the subject. I am waiting on it also.
Gary

mark_m
12-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Butch,
If you have just run the upgrade patch, you do not have to use a different post processor to the one that you have been using to date.
Following the upgrade a different one will have been selected by deafult, but this is only due to the fact that some extra post processors have been added to the list. Just select the one that you used to use, it will be remembered in future.
I hope this helps,
Mark.

butch
12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Gary, Thanks. I will look forward to that column.
Mark Thanks. I believe that is what happened. But it made me aware what was there.

Butch

beacon14
01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
OK, my article on customizing the VCarve Pro and Partworks Postprocessor files is now online on the ShopBot web site. Here's the link (http://65.36.212.143/notes_from_the_sandbox.htm).
(For later readers of this post, scroll down to the January 2008 installment.)

It gets a little technical - I'm open to feedback as to whether it's understandable and/or helpful or if anything is missing or confusing.

Thanks and enjoy...

pfulghum
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks David...Pretty cool.

butch
01-15-2008, 07:14 AM
David

Thanks.. That is just the information I needed. This will save some errors, as I redo every file with the same information. Very nice article.

Butch

richards
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
David,
Thanks for the VCarvePro tips. Until now, I've always used PartWizard 2 for toolpathing, but when I tried to modify the PartWizard 2 .con file, I ran into their checksum problem. So, out with the old and in with the new. It looks like it's time to change to VCarvePro for all of my toolpathing.