PDA

View Full Version : Converting text to a curve.

wardsa
11-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm still learning and playing around with VCP. I am trying convert a text to a curve and or edit text spacing and curve and can't do either function. I've read through the help manual and I think I'm doing exactly as stated, but can't get it to work. I insert a text on the screen, select that text, but when I click on the "Edit text spacing and curve", the text goes back to unselected and I get a messege that I first must select a text. If I select a text and click the " Convert text to curve", all I get is a T floating around with my curser. I know I've done this before with no problems, but not now. What am I missing?
Thanks, Terry

tony_mac
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Terry,

Select the Text then holding the Shift key select the curve and finally click the Wrap Text Along Curve icon.

I hope this helps and send us a note - support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) if you need further assistance.

Tony

wardsa
11-26-2007, 01:19 PM
OK still nothing. That didn't help Tony, I've tried that many times. Still the same problem. I sent you an email too, with alittle more detail of what I have tried.
Terry

jamesb
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Terry, I am sure the guys at Vectric may have already taken care of you on this but I thought I would add my 2cents.

As I understand it, to use the "Edit Text Spacing and Curve" function the text must be created in VCP (not imported) and you have to then use the command on the text before you convert to curves as VCP has to see it as "text". What I am guessing has happened in your case is you have used the convert to curves first so now it does not see it as text any more (so it gives you that error).

The convert to curves function is not to put text onto a curve it just converts the text format so it can be edited like a normal vector (using nodes etc.) This stops the text functions like the "edit text on a curve" from working so you should only do it once the text is in place (and on a curve).

So in short to get it to work I would delete the text you have, type some new text in VCP and before you do anything else use the method Tony mentioned or use the "Edit Text Spacing and Curve" function as it should work no problem.

I hope this helps more than it confuses...

wardsa
11-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks James,
As we say in the US, "you hit the nail on the head". I was trying to edit text I placed on a curve first. Why is it that once you place it on a curve you can't move it?
Thanks again James, Terry

jamesb
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
"Why is it that once you place it on a curve you can't move it? " - this is really just down to how the software works. What I typically do is make sure my curve is just as long as where I want the text to go (use the node editing tools to insert nodes and delete spans to leave the bit you want). Glad my explanation made sense. Cheers, James

cowboy1296
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for this post because it helped me too.