PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from Corel 12 to Part Wizard

ed_lang
12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I am trying to create a heart shaped jewlery box with a carving on the top. I have drawn the box shape in Corel draw by scanning a printed page and using layers to trace over the scan by hand and using curves. I now want to export the shape to PW so I can create a area clear tool path to clear out the inside of the box and leave a .25" bottom. I will then create a tool path to cut the outside out of the stock.

I cannot seem to get from Corel 12 to PW. would someone please give me a step by step on how to do this? I can provide a .cdr file if that would help.

Thanks.

don_ask
12-14-2005, 02:49 PM
I use corel all the time. Open the .cdr file and then "file" export to .eps . eps works the best for me, however .ai will also work some of the time.

ed_lang
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Don,
The export to .eps did not work for me. I opened up the corel 12 .cdr file and clicked on File Export. I selected .eps and then exported. When I started Part Wizard, I created a new project and then tried to import, vector data and got a square on my project. Not the heart shape that was exported in Corel 12.

HELP!

There must be someting I am missing.

paco
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Ed!

There must be option(s) when saving EPS...

You could try AI too; version 8 or lower, no gradient fillings, fonts saved as vectors... basic vector only...

In least resort, try saving in a DXF format; maybe 200#... not as good (arcs import as line segments) but...

Just an idea; have you tried copy (from COREL) and paste (in PW)?... I've never check this out...

Sorry, COREL is "out" on my PC now... and not the one I use the most... post (or send me) the file so we (I) can help further if need...

Hope this help...

robtown
12-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Export as Illustrator (.ai) ver 6, make sure your shape has a hairline applied to it in corel before exporting.

stargategfx
12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Ed, as suggested, export as an .ai file.
Before exporting ensure that nothing is grouped and that all text is converted to curves (break apart)
On a sign for example containing various shapes and text, the fastest way to export properly is to select everything on the page, combine it, then break apart.
As I recall these commands are under the "arrange" menu.
My prefference is to always export with no fills and everything on one layer.
ALWAYS SAVE A COPY before either combining or breaking apart an image in case you have to go back and edit it later.
These instructions are applicable to Corel 11, but should work for 12 as well.
Hope this helps!

phil_o
12-15-2005, 11:08 AM
When you export an EPS file there is a dialog box. I always click export as curves, format as tiff, type black and white, resolution 72. I've never had a problem.

srwtlc
12-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Ed, I don't have PW2 to test with, but are you exporting from Corel using the drawing that has the scanned image embedded in it? Try either of these two ways...Copy just your outline and paste it into a new Corel drawing and then exprot as a .eps. Or, if you have your scanned image on one layer and your outline on another, in "Object Manager", deselect or turn off the little printer icon and then export as a .eps

I just tried it with PW1 demo and it worked fine.

Scott