PDA

View Full Version : Push valves for zones

carlcnc
04-29-2008, 11:58 AM
A couple years ago Joewoodworker sold spring loaded ball valves, ,they look a lot like transfer bearings,they aren't on his site any longer.
someone had a post with pictures of his table using these valves,I think he had them on 6" centers.
anyone know a source for these?
thanks
Carl

Gary Campbell
04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Carl...
I bought some of them from JW.com a while back to do some testing. Before I bought them I called and talked to Joe. He told me they were marginal at best, as they experience leaking. I did some tests of my own and found that my 4 cfm 24"Hg vac pump would hold OK with 2 installed but not covered, ran almost continlually with 3 not covered, and wouldnt hold any vacuum at all with 4 in the system and not covered. I also tried stiffer springs and installing O-rings in them, to no avail. So unless you have a very large pump, to me they would be a waste of time and money.

As far as where to buy them, if I havnt talked you out of them, I may have a dozen for sale!!!
Gary

Gary Campbell
04-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Carl...
More info.. they are still on the JWW site. also on eBay and a dozen other places. Just Google "vacuum clamp valve"
Gary

carlcnc
04-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Gary
thanks,
I poked around some on Joe's site and found them,ALSO he even [graciously] includes a caveat
that they do leak some,
I was looking for something other than manual valves,
Back to air actuatede gate valves!

Carl

Gary Campbell
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Carl...
It was some time ago that I was testing a multi purpose gasketed hold down fixture. I was looking to make it a versatile as possible and the "Mach" type valves seemed to fit into this well. They really cant flow enough for a low vacuum, high volume fixture, but looked like they would work well with a low volume, high vacuum sealed "puck" system. The problem with them is that the low volume systems can't tolerate the leaks from the valves and give satifactory hold down. I also tried manifolds and individual valves connected to the individual "pucks" and had much better results, but using them was a bit clumsy with only 2 hands.

Brady has posted some info on a similar setup using recycled "Trex" type decking that you should look at before you complete your design. Here is a picture of some of my work in progress, 2 layers, cut from PVC sign foam, with distribution slots cut into both prior to epoxying together. Post your results, whether good or bad.
Gary