View Full Version : Can I cut to the side of one line?

ken_rychlik
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I am laying out a cabinet side and the dado's and outside profile are going well. I cut a rabbet for the back and i can't get it to toopath for the rabbet.

I took a blank page and put one line on it and I can machine along the vector, but what I am after is to machine along one side of the vector.

The only work-around I see is offsetting the line by 50%of where I want the inside edge of the rabbet. I was hoping for and easier way.

Kenneth

bleeth
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Kenneth:
Draw a rectangle the width of the rabbet and longer at each end then at least the radius of the bit, then use area clear toolpathing.

ken_rychlik
02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dave.

I have been playing with vectric cut2d and partwizzard back and forth. The open vector thing is bugging me to where it's time to start drinking. lol I either can't get it to cut what I tell it, or when I want to cut the outline of the part, it cuts across the middle too.

I sent Ryan a note to ask if his program would support rabbets for an applied back. Still waiting on his thoughts.

Kenneth

tmerrill
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Kenneth,

I left Part Wizard a long time ago and currently enjoy all the Vectric products.

For dadoes, I simply draw a line for the center of the dado and then use the appropriate size plywood bit. Set the depth to what you want and I haven't got a bad fit yet.

Rabbets can be approached the same way.

With the preview function that the Vectric products have, you will see the rabbet/dado before you cut.

Tim

bleeth
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Ken: For cabinet parts I always draw them as rectangles for parts, dadoes, and rabbets and circles for holes. With one Spindle and no drill I do everything with a 5 mm bit and use a toolpath template that loads for drilling first, then dado and then cutting out the part. In process of rebuilding PRT Gantry (For those of you who have heard this before-stop laughing-I'm finally doing it!)and will add drill. At that point I will do dado and cutout with 1/4" bit and shelf and hinge plate holes with the drill. If I used a 1/2" back instead of 1/4" with nailers I would use 3/8 or 1/2 for rabbet and cutout.
As a longtime Artcam Pro user I have no need of the Vetric products yet as they are not as robust in other areas yet but are excellent bang for the buck for much work. Knowing Brian et al at Vetric I expect regular updates to their suite of programs that will probably soon bring it to a par with ACPro.
I believe Ryan's program does support back rabbet. Not sure which version you need, but at the price, if it works for you you might as well get the pro version.