PDA

View Full Version : Reversing direction of cut

phil_o
02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
When I cut a v-groove circle in most any type of wood I get portions of the circle that are cut very clean and portions that are fuzzy. I'm fairly sure the variations are because half of the trip around the circle the cutter is going against the grain. If I could cut the circle a second time reversing the direction of cut, clockwise on the first pass then counterclockwise on the second pass, I could eliminate most of the fuzz. Is there an easy way to run the file a second time with a reversed direction of cut?

paco
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Phil,

assuming you're using PW and that you use Machine along vector strategie, select the vector and choose reverse direction (or make clockwise or counterclockwise depending on your situation). Re-calculate the toolpath or make a new one. If you're using the profiling strategie, use climb or conventional so of your situation.

As to fix this issue with the wood grain, it's rather the router motor that you'd need to reverse... even if you cut conventionnal or climb, you'll still machine the wood grain the same way... but try what you thought of and let us know. Sometime (depending on the wood type) a light finishing pass (0.02-0.03" deeper) can make it appear less teared...

phil_o
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I have tried the light finishing pass. On the fill in sheet I run a second pass with the Z set at 1.100. This increases the Z cut by 10%. It helps but there's still a little fuzz. I was hoping there was a simple option in the SB Control software to reverse the direction of cut.
I'll try your suggestion with PW. I guess I could create two cut files and save them as one SBP machining files. That should work. I'll let you know how it performs.

Brady Watson
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Phil,
I haven't thought this all the way thru yet, but what if you imported an SBP file as a comma delimited text file into Excel...and then just inverted the selection? (or Access...add a numerical primary key and then invert the key field Z to A) Then export your inverted selection as a comma delimited text file again with SBP extension.

Just a thought...
-Brady

gus
02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Can you break the circle into two arcs and cut each in the direction you need?

srwtlc
02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
If the circle code is a CC, CP, or a CG, one of the parameters is for clockwise (1) or counterclockwise (-1). Duplicate that line, but change the direction. You could also make it cut just a little larger or smaller on the second pass.

phil_o
02-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess there's more that one way to skin a cat. For what I'm trying to do Paco's method works best. I have V-Carve Wizard so I created a 2-D toolpath machined on the vector with a 60 degree V-bit at .100 deep with a climb cut. Then I created a second toolpath at .102 deep with a conventional cut. I saved the two toolpaths as a single .SBP file. I'm pleased with the results. The cut is definitely smoother than two cuts in the same direction.

paco
02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Good!

...but 0.002", I'd call that a "sanding" pass!

Yesterday, I wrote that I didn't thought it would make a difference because in lumber, that you machine climb or conventional, you still meet the grain with the same bit rotation direction... I usually use climb to avoid details breakage in corners and it sometime make a less teared cut grain too with VERY soft wood... but often need more sanding to remove the "flaps" of material left by the climb cutting action.

Phil, was that soft wood?

Anyway, as long as you fixed your issue, that's what we all hope.

BTW, PW would have done the job too... in case someone read this thread and ONLY have PW...