PDA

View Full Version : BoxCutter Version 2.0 Announced

pfulghum
02-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I have just released V2.0 of the BoxCutter cabinet casework software.

There software is available from http://www.users.qwest.net/~pfulghum/

The Licensing, Cost, and Install steps are outlined on that website.

With this software and given
a) the definition of some sheet goods
b) the dimensions of my cabinet boxes.

Then let the user define How THEY want to build your cabinets, then with this information.

Generate...
*) a 3D view of a typical box. (this was a lot of fun to write)
*) Generate a part list
*) Generate part labels (on mailing labels to place on the parts as they are cut)
*) Generate Sheet Layout printouts
*) Generate the shopbot files for each sheet that would drill and cut the parts.

There is a "Personal" and "Pro" version which is selected with your license key. To get a license key install the software for the trial, at any time you can do a "Help->License" to request a real key.

I will be working on V3.0 for release in March with many of the enhancements that people have asked for.

Enjoy

-- Pat

Other relavent posts:
Alpha Version http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=31&post=30572#POST30572

pfulghum
02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
There were two bugs that crept into version 2.0 that make it all but un-usable.
There is a bug in the licensing that will not allow people to add boxes on a trial license. (I can't believe I didn't have a test case for this.)

BoxCutter 2.1 has been released at
http://www.users.qwest.net/~pfulghum/

Please download 2.1 and throw away 2.0. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-- pat

benchmark
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Pat

I tried the link above but it is still
V 2.0 ...Have I jumped the gun

Paul

pfulghum
02-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Paul, It *IS* there...Please try again.
Probably a delay with your ISP caching websites???

-- pat

rprerovsky (Unregistered Guest)
02-13-2006, 07:32 PM
i can't open the box cutter,some problem robert

pfulghum
02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Robert,
Can you be more specific as to the problem you are having?
-- pat

Mike Windsor
02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Pat :I downloaded and installed the program as well and can't get it to run . I get a dialogue box with a long message , something to do with the net framework and direct3dx ,version=1.0.2909.0 , Culture=nuetral ------I'm using a laptop running windows xp

pfulghum
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Mike,
Did you follow the "Install Notes" at http://www.users.qwest.net/~pfulghum/ ?

Is this your first time installing the software?

My guess is you did not run the dxwebsetup.exe before running BoxCutter. So do a ...
Start->Programs->WoodenItBeNice->dxwebsetup.exe

Please report back if that worked. You can email me directly if you want.

-- pat

Mike Windsor
02-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Pat :
yes I did neglect to install one of the components , I think it was the crystal reports . ---Anyway I did get it working , but used up my first 5 evaluations before I figured out how to use it . ---It actually is pretty simple to use once I figured it out . ----I haven't fully explored this yet , but does the program optimize sheet usage ? I tried a few trials with a 24X 48 layout on a 49 X 97 sheet , and when I looked at the layouts the usage seemed to be less than optimal ? ---or was it just me being used to the way I would lay it out ? ---A provision for using the grain with plywood would be nice . ---i.e. setting the shelves so that the grain runs horizontaly on the top and back, or with the length of the shelf . Looks like a pretty usefull program Thanks Mike

pfulghum
02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Mike,
Its great that you got it working.
I actually spent a lot of time of the layout. I would be that it is optimal for the number of cabinets you have. If you think it is less than optimal, please send me your ".box" file so that I can take a look at it. (Remember with the default config there is 3/4 and 1/4 sheets.)

The program will not "rotate" parts even on melamine. This might be a good enhancment. But is not an easy problem to solve.

Note: Grain direction will always go with the length.

-- pat

3d_danny
03-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Pat,

I agree with Mike. Being able to pack as many parts on each sheet would be more cost effective with less scrap(for me building cabinets)

I do have a suggestion, if I may. When printing the layout, it prints the yellow background. As expensive ink is, could it be changed to just an outline? Would be quicker printing also.

Thanks,
Dan

pfulghum
03-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Dan,
If you have a set of cabinets that you think are not laid out effeciently, I would love to see it. Just send me the ".box" file.

3d_danny
03-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Pat,

You have mail....

Dan

pfulghum
03-06-2006, 09:07 PM
For those of you running version 2.1 of Boxcutter, the software was inadvertantly timebombed for Feb 28, 2006 regardless of whether you purchased a license or you where in the "trial period".

Version 2.2 has been posted to http://www.users.qwest.net/~pfulghum/

I've included DXF export of the layouts for everyone.

I really apologize for the timebomb it was left in by mistake (before I went to the new licencing scheme.)

-- Pat Fulghum

Mayo
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Pat...
After downloading from the link in your 3/6/06 post above, I got the timebomb message. I noticed that the actual download were files dated 2/13/06 at 2:52PM - are these the correct files? The zip file was called BoxCutter_V2_1.zip.

pfulghum
03-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Mayo/Dan,
I just got an email that qwest had to restore my website. When they restored (Tues Mar 7) it didn't have my recent changes.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The website is now up-to-date and has version 2.2 (without the timebomb).

-- Pat

jseiler
03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I have a PR32 (32"x32") and it seems that the older version of boxcutter places parts toward the back of the sheet preferentially, instead of the front. This means that for small boxes, you have to load a full blank and let it have a large area uncut toward the front. It would perhaps be an improvement to have layout prefer the front of the sheet and give an indication of the largest x and y values used so one could use a smaller piece of plywood for smaller projects.

I still live the program a lot

John

pfulghum
03-16-2006, 10:42 AM
John,
The best thing to do is change the material's height and width to be the size of the sheets you can cut. In your example the largest you can cut is 32x32, so change the material's Height and Width to agree. It shouldn't really matter if there is uncut material at the top/left/right/bottom of the sheet.

Does that make sense?

-- pat