PDA

View Full Version : How do I Wrap Text along a curve?

tim_mcknight
01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I have typed out text in PW and now I want to wrap it along a curve. When I select the text and then go into the "Wrap Text Along a Curve" menu button all of the options are grey and not active. I have tried grouping the text, ungrouping the text, double clicking text, highlighting text and still have a gray non active menu. What am I doing wrong? Tried searching the archives but couldn't find info.

Gary Campbell
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Tim...
Select the text AND the curve... your dimmed buttons may just light up.
Gary

tim_mcknight
01-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Gary,
I drew a circle (not an arc) and then tried to wrap the text around the circumference of it. I selected the text AND the circle and still no active controls after I select the "Wrap text Along A Curve" button.

Gary Campbell
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Tim...
I dont do many sign related things in PWks, but I did place some a thru g and a circle on the screen, selected the text, then the circle and the buttons lit up. I selected one of the options, placed the text where I didnt want it, tried to move it.... then closed the file and replied to you. Other than what I told you, I know little more. Maybe one of the Vectric gurus will chime in.
Gary

russ
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
TIM
I BELIEVE THAT THE TEXT IS REFERENCED OFF THE START NODE OF YOUR CIRCLE. YOU WOULD HAVE TO EDIT THE NODE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ETC.

myxpykalix
01-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Although I have never used it, here is a link to a thread for an application called the "Wrapper" maybe that will help you:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2920

don
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Tim,
Your text has to remain in text format. Don't convert text to curves.
If selected text is right clicked, there is a "Convert Text To Curves".
If you have converted text to curves this will cause the "Wrap text to Curve Menu" to be greyed
out.
I haven't found any rhyme or reason how the text orients itself to circles or ellipses.
You can crop the circle to where you want the text to be targeted. Apply the text to the arc.

The link that Jack posted about the "Wrapper", is a small stand alone program to convert 2½D G-Code into a 4th axis program.
This will allow you to wrap a 2D file around a cylindrical object. It will work for your indexers.

myxpykalix
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I guess i was thinking about the wrong kind of curves! I have been thinking about wrapping some type of mural around a cylindrical bowl or round shape.

tim_mcknight
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I was successful with your help and Jimmy's private email. Thanks for the help guys!