PDA

View Full Version : Dxf converting woes

arrow
05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
New to corel and shopbot.

I can not make Shopbot-conversion convert Dxf files made with corel. Useing CorelDraw 11, CorelTrace, then exported into a Dxf file. But everytime I try to convert the file I only get the following small bit of code, and nothing else.

SA,
&ZUP=1.0000
JZ,&ZUP
PAUSE 2

Useing Version 2.4.1

mrdovey
05-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Jim...

The first three lines are a standard prolog and the fourth line is a standard postlog for DXF conversion. All you're missing is the actual part cutting code...

I'm still using an old version - but I have no problem if I export (from DesignCAD) my DXF file as a Version 14 in text (not binary) format. You might check your Corel options for DXF file creation.

...Morris

arrow
05-27-2005, 10:48 AM
That was it. Thanks! I was exporting in the 2002 version, which you'd think would work. But I used the 2.5 and it seems too be working...if rather inefficently, running around cutting here and there....I guess I have too learn how to do tool path now.

gerald_d
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
This thread is another candidate for TMFAQ.....the most frequently asked question.

Brady Watson
05-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Jim,
I find that if you are using PW that it likes an AI version 7 file as an import out of Corel. For DXF import, I always save in v12 or v14 (or request that format from customer)...of couse this doesn't address converting a DXF using the FC command...

-Brady

ron brown
05-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Arrow,

You are bringing up old memories - or nightmares - I'm not sure which...

One method that works to get tool-paths managable is to build the part and then copy it, with referrnce point, to the side. It is then copied back to the proper origin point and the original is erased. The "recopied" part will cut in the order it was selected.

I hope this make sense.

Ron

arrow
05-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Woes continued.

Trying to cut a simple square shape, contured out five colored steps. I can convert it, but I lose the line colors ending up with just a flat engraving.

I have 9 different DXF exporting choices.
R14
R13
R11
R10
R9

R11, R10, R9, 2.6, and 2.5 DXF files convert, but lose all color information.

Where as versions R13, R14, 2000, and 2002 act like they are converting at first. Seeing the color (giving me color depth options), but the file ends up cutoff like before....
SA,
&ZUP=1.0000
JZ,&ZUP
PAUSE 2

Brady Watson
05-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Jim,
Why are you hard pressed to use the DXF converter? In my opinion it is going backwards in technology compared to what we have at our disposal. I don't like this method for the simple fact that you don't know what you are going to get until you cut...Why not just offset vectors in PW and assign depths as you see fit to individual vectors?

-Brady

mrdovey
06-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Another problem. When I use FC to convert a DXF file exported from DesignCAD, all of the drawing elements are located properly in relation to each other, but the whole seems to be randomly placed on the table (and sometimes off the table.)

Anybody know what might be going on here? I've written a utility program to translate the drawing back to where the lower left corner of its bounding box is located at (0,0) - what I normally want - but I don't think it should be necessary to run that translation on the converted file.

I don't understand!

gerald_d
06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Morris, you need to find DesignCAD's (0,0) point and work relative to that before you save the dxf.

gerald_d
06-01-2005, 05:25 AM
Had a quick look at DesignCAD - You need the Point -> Origin to set the (0,0) anywhere you need it.

beacon14
06-01-2005, 07:50 AM
When using DesignCad for the ShopBot usually the first thing I do is draw a rectangle with the bottom left corner at 0,0 and the top right corner at 96,48. Then I know that what ever I draw within the rectangle will be placed on the table the same way.

arrow
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
I've determined that I have a software issue with corel and nothing wrong with the Shopbot DXF converter. I was able too make a colored DXF line drawing, with Rhino3D, that converted perfectly with Shopbot. The only reason I'm using Corel is for its capability to open EMF file format.

mrdovey
06-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks to all who responded.

Found the source of my problem - It's the DesignCAD DXF export. FC is working properly (but producing strangely displaced results.)

I'm copying parts from a larger drawing, pasting them into new drawings, setting the origin where I want it to cut the part, setting the grid center to the new origin, creating the toolpath, and exporting the toolpath (only) as a DXF.

It turns out that DesignCAD exports the toolpath using the coordinates from the original drawing, rather than from the new (relocated) coordinate system. I guess I'll just keep on using my little utility program to perform the coordinate translation on the FC'd file. It's a royal PIA but I can live with it.

...Morris

gerald_d
06-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Morris, we sometimes also have AutoCAD going wild on us. The sure-fire cure is to open a new blank sheet (new file) and then cut&paste our recent work onto this new sheet. This approach might also work for DesignCAD.

phil_o
06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
I've had a different DXF importing problem. Frequently, drawings done in Corel, saved as DXF files and imported into PW have a double vector line. Then I have to delete the extra lines, a real pain on complex drawings. Is there a solution?

ron brown
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Don't use Corel?

Ron

billp
06-03-2005, 08:45 AM
I think I'd agree with Ron on this one. Early in the game I also tried Corel (as well as some other "drawing"programs...), but always had similar issues with multiple lines, mis-aligned drawings upon import, etc. Since the advent of Part Wizard I'm surprised that more people haven't taken a few minutes to learn just how powerful a program it really IS. Particularly PW 2
It doesn't take a lot of time to learn the basic CAD drawing tools, and then they can be resized, and positioned accurately within the same program. After that, toolpathing is incredibly easy and your file is ready to cut. You might sacrifice a few minutes as you have to THINK about how to lay out a project, but if you are SO busy that you don't have that time you should be able to afford a high end "automatic design" program (and please let all of us know when you find such an animal..).
I understand the thought process that "if you know a program it's the right program to work with while you get started", but PW 2 pretty much eliminates the steep learning curve of most other CAD programs as it was written with the CNC cutting process in mind.
Of course there are more powerful programs out there, but from what I've seen the majority of projects (2D) which people cut on their 'Bot could be drawn, toolpathed, and cut, with much less axiety than people who are trying to hang on to their "comfort zone programs".
And it should go without saying that in the CNC world software IS what makes your day either good or bad. . Rarely in the CNC world do you get solutions which cost in the hundreds of dollars, rather than thousands.
I think a LOT of people have overlooked an obvious solution here. We HAVE a very good design package in front of us, and it's power to price ratio is pretty remarkable....

fleinbach
06-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Well said Bill, I can't think of much to add to that

phil_o
06-03-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree also. I use PWII for just about everything. However some projects start out as a scan or a jpg photo. PW does not support tracing either automaticaly or manualy. You can't paste a drawing from another source into PW and trace. I'm surprised because just about every other Windows based program has this functionality.
Corel is quite helpful here but when I get to the end of the process PW gives me that double line to deal with.

gerald_d
06-03-2005, 11:06 AM
We often get double lines in clients' dxf's. Vector's "Reorganize" command removes all of them across the whole drawing with 3 clicks and even less seconds. I would expect that this is one of the basic things that a CAD program should be able to do.

arrow
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Phil O'Rourke,

I have the same problem with duplicated lines going from Corel too Rhino3d....Only more so, all lines are tripled. For flat drawings the answer in Rhino is the "Make 2-D Drawing" function. Takes the drawing back too single lines.

gerald_d
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
If you guys can zip your dxf's down to less than than 1MB, mail them to me and I'll give them a scrub with Vector.

David Arde (Unregistered Guest)
06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
try control q in corel. (convert to curves). If it is text that is what i have to do to eliminate the double lines. It might be worth a try.

ron brown
06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Arrow,

Thanks for the Rhino command info - I didn't know that one. I normally work that stuff out in VECTOR - but, wouldn't have to deal with it if I did it first in Rhino.

Ron

srwtlc
06-06-2005, 12:21 AM
With Corel, be sure that your lines don't have an extra outline applied to them, or change the outline to a "Hairline" outline. Also, sometimes what looks like a single line can be two lines with a flood fill applied. Remove the fill and change the outline to a "Hairline" and delete any unwanted outlines. Also try exporting as an .eps.

Scott