View Full Version : Another 7.2 Upgrade

thewoodcrafter
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Got my steppers and drivers yesterday. Took about 4 hours to change out the 3 steppers, change out the 3 drivers, install my second Z and install the driver for it (both taken from the Y). I changed unit values this morning after looking them up on the forum and presto. Things work great. Need to do some cutting this afternoon. I don't know how far to push the speed but it will jog across the table at 25IPS with no problem. Should I try 30IPS? How do you know when you have reached its limit? Will I just start losing position?
Very easy upgrade with no problems.

evan
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Ain't it sweet!
ShopBot PRSalpha Specifications [values for tools with standard options; generally apply to PRTalpha Benchtop Tool as well]
XY Move Speed (with full cutting force) Variable, max. 600”/min. (15.24m/min.)
Z Move Speed (with full cutting force)

Brady Watson
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Roger,
Try to keep your jog speeds under 20 IPS. It's awfully harsh on the gearboxes at speeds above that. The tool will cut up to 12 IPS and Jog up to 30, but in reality, it is very rare that you would ever need to jog @ 30 IPS.

-B

thewoodcrafter
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think I will have to push it over 20IPS jog and I will try cutting at 10IPS.
Its a new machine, again.

thewoodcrafter
03-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Well I almost finished my second Z install tonight.
Got the ribbon and motor cable today. I ran the cable and power for the router. That took longer than installing the Z carriage. I still need to get the cable in the side of the control box. The driver is wired and ready to go.

I do like the speed with the new steppers. I haven't done a lot of cutting yet and have not been able to experiment. But I do like jogging at 20IPS and cutting at 10IPS.

thewoodcrafter
03-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Set up my second Z today (A). Ran the A zeroing routine, worked fine.
I almost ran out of space running neg X. The two routers are 6.628 apart. Had to move the stops and prox targets. I found the total travel needs to be about 104" to be able to zero the two routers. Sure glad I didn't have to move everything around to get the travel. And sure glad the A zeroing routine works. My old machine I had to zero A manually.