View Full Version : Z-Axis arch

jcg
09-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Can anyone help me to write a Z axis (vertical) arch within a *.sbp file? I have the X,Y,Z coordinates for the center point as well as start and finish angles. I need to create a .75"rad Z-pullup at the end of a X,Y cut.

gerald_d
09-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Jim, hope you realise that a SB cannot cut a curve in vertical plane unless it is broken into a bunch of little straight lines. Therefore, you will have to tell your volunteer how many little straight lines you want.

jcg
09-29-2003, 12:05 PM
In other words, I'll need to explode the arches in AutoCAD in order to locate XYZ points and then create multiple "M3" commands to produce my cut? Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

grandps@ix.netcom.com
09-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Take a piece of wood or any other material and sand a verticle profile of the arc you want to program. Not too difficult with a belt sander. Then set up your 3d-probe and probe the profile and save. edit and copy the z-axis from the probed file to your other program in the proper steps. time consuming but will work. Simpler than using a 3d cam-cad program.

srwtlc
09-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Jim,

Do you have Vector Cam? I make Z axis arcs for approaches into my material with bits that don't plunge well. You just have to interpolate the arc into segments that work for the task at hand. If you don't have Vector I can help you out if you would like.

Scott

gittel
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi Jim,
Are you asking for something like an arch:

or a smooth s-curve:

or a smooth pullup:

jcg
09-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Answer: C -smooth pullup AND smooth entry.

jcg
10-01-2003, 01:00 PM
OK. Went with a variation of Grandpastime's idea. I hand shaped a pattern and used the s_dfx3d.sbp file to digitize it. Due to the loose tolerance of the Shopbot probe (normally closed) when used with a very long probe piece, I made a electro-mechanical device that allowed me to use a ridged 1/2" ballnosed shaped brass probe with a foil covered pattern. The device fools the control unit into thinking that there is a normally closed switch at input one. Tolerance is much improved.

jcg
10-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Gerald, Could you please resend your email address. I mistakenly deleted your previous emails. Just call me fat fingers.
Thanks, Jim