View Full Version : Air Cuts

pete
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Is there more than one way to do air cuts? - that is, running completely through a cut file above the material without actually cutting. What methods are being used out there pls. thanks, Pete

harryball
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I generally zero Z and then run with 3D offset. If cut depths are over 1" (which is the height above the table I zero Z) I raise the Z to a safe distance before running with 3D offset.

Robert

Brady Watson
12-08-2006, 01:14 PM
1) Move bit at least 1.25 times your material thickness above your material. (IE if you have 3/4" material on bot, move bit about 1" above the top of the material)

2) ZZ. This will place your Zzero location way up in the air, so even if you cut the full file (full .75" deep) you'll still be clear in the Z axis.

3) Run your file using the FP command and you're all set.

-B

gus
12-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I do it like Robert does. If you run in 3D offset all you need to do is move the tool up to a safe start position. Taking into account how deep the tool will try to cut. That way you do not have to mess with rezero of Z when you want to cut for real.

pete
12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your inputs guys. I am using the 3D offset choice in the setup dialog box - but I left the spindle height as it is in the cut file and sometimes it would move down enought to start cutting (depending on the bit length, stepdown size, etc). So, I just wanted to see if there was any other method. Thanks again. Pete