PDA

View Full Version : How To Simplify Vectors?

kevin_morin
02-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Importing a set of outlines into Partworks to make cut files using the CAD files scaled to fit material and there are hundreds of tiny vectors along the simple curves.

Besides editing out the many un-needed vectors by hand and shaping the curve with a pair of overall end points and one or two intermediate control points- is there an automatic method to simplify vectors?

Started in a marine design software that output *.dxf which import nicely but has a hundred pairs of end points in a 20" long simple curve.

Hand editing is taking too long, may be the only way but perhaps this has come up and I can't find that discussion?

cheers,

Kevin Morin

knight_toolworks
02-26-2010, 07:47 PM
your saying nothing is a closed vector? that's typical. use the join open vectors button. also choose select duplicate vectors to clear the extra ones out. you might want to fit curves to selected vectors to get good curves.

kevin_morin
02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Steve,
I have joined the vectors (about one hundred in 20") and I could manually draw over that curve with another.

I was looking for a method to reduce the number of short lines into the long curve without manually drawing and editing the new simplified curve?

If the group of original vectors is left it seems like I'd be cutting hundreds of 'extra' paths, even "joined" where I can see that one long arc or an arc with one or two control points would describe the entire curve- I was looking for a tool method to simplify the number of vectors while retaining the original curve's shape, but not requiring hand drawing/editing the new simplified curve.

thanks,
Kevin Morin

knight_toolworks
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
do you have the newest version of partworks? it has a feature that changes those to curves just select the vector and change it to curves. choose the fit curves to vectors button. but it is only on the newest version of partworks/vcarve/
if you don't have it I or someone can do it for you. or pony up the 150.00 I think for the upgrade it is worth it.

kevin_morin
02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the directions Steve, that was exactly what I needed and it worked great. After using the CurveFitVectors command I was able to edit a few points and have the simplified curve - just ask around here and someone shows the way!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin