PDA

View Full Version : DesignCad 3d max v15

juan_chicoy
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
hello, juan here, steve and i are guitar and harp makers, have a 4x8 shopbot, know next to nothing about it.
found a well reviewed program called "designcad 3d max v15" in a old issue of fine woodworking.
is this compatable with shopbot? is this a good place to start? thanks.......juan

beacon14
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Juan,

Any CAD program is "compatible with ShopBot" however there will be an intermediate step needed to actually create a file which will run the ShopBot. I use DesignCad extensively to create my part drawings, then import the drawings into VCarve Pro to get toolpath (.sbp) files. If you are not already familiar with a CAD program and will probably have to get VCarve Pro to process your files you can do a lot of your drawing tasks directly in VCarve Pro and only have to learn one program. I'd suggest you start with the trial version of VCarve and see if it will do the drawings you need.

The above mostly applies to 2D work, for 3D work others will have more experienced responses.

harold_weber
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
While Design CAD lets you export a 3D DXF file, I've never been successful directly importing the file into a 3D tool pathing program. Some time ago, I sent a Design CAD 3D DXF file to Delcam and asked them what the problem was. They said that the file was 3D, but it was wire frame, and you need to have 3D meshes. When I spoke with Design CAD about this, they said they had no plans to change their program to export 3D meshes, and I just needed to run the exported file through PolyTrans. I verified that if you brought the file into PolyTrans or Accutrans, you could convert it into something that MillWizard would read. I still like Design CAD for 2D work, but I find Rhinoceros to be more convenient for 3D work. Your mileage may vary.

juan_chicoy
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
is Rhinoceros a program that would do the design process and also provide the tool path? it would be great to do it in one program. i think Rhinoceros came with our shopbot when we bought it used. as you might guess we are both in preschool cnc wise. thanks, juan

harold_weber
11-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Juan, Rhinoceros has an add-on called RhinoCAM, if you have that than you can do toolpathing, I think from inside Rhinoceros. Otherwise, you need to export your 3D Rhino model to an STL or 3DS format file, read it into a 3D toolpathing program, and create the toolpath. A few of many toolpathing programs available are CUT3D, Visual Mill, and ArtCAM Pro. There are others. Tell us what software (including Version number) you have and what you want to make and perhaps we can help you.

juan_chicoy
01-30-2008, 04:20 PM
hello juan here, had to put out some fires at work, so to speak, then got sick but i'm back.
our shop bot program is 3.4.27
our drawing program is rhino 3d 3.0

what we want to make are harp parts, mostly 2d such as drilling holes for hardware.
we would like to make electric guitar necks and bodies on the shopbot in 3d.
let me know if you need more info, thank you
juan.... who is slowly trying to get into the computer age.

harold_weber
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Juan, here is a ukulele neck I made for a local instrument maker using Rhino, so Rhino will be fine for drawing the part. You need something to convert a 3D drawing into tool movement commands (a toolpathing program). Did you buy a used ShopBot? If yes, then ask the seller what he used for 3D toolpathing and if he included it in the sale.