PDA

View Full Version : Visual Mill 4.0 4th axis setup

jay_meadors
02-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I am looking for any assistance I can get in creating toolpath files in VisualMill. I am using Rhino 3.0 to create my design files, and so far, have not been able to output a VisualMill file that utilizes the 4th axis. Has anyone around the forum here had any experience with VM and a 4th axis? I am able to write files for simple designs, and use the M4 command, but so far, have been stumped by VM.

Thanks

Brady Watson
02-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Jay,
While I don't use VM, it is possible to use a regular 3D toolpath with the indexer. Since the indexer effectively replaces your Y axis, (and control software doesn't run indexer in arcs) you can create a 3D file that is unwrapped, and run it using the indexer.

In other words, the circumference of the cylinder stock you will be machining is your EXACT Y dimension for your material (if indexer runs parallel with X axis) The machine and software don't know you are using the indexer...Lots of people have been machining this way without the need for specific 4th axis software.

-Brady

jay_meadors
02-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Brady,

Thanks for the response. I have been milling long tapered shafts that required movement in all 4 axes, but it may be that for the next project, what you have described will work just fine. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again...