View Full Version : Problem with SB software

toml@starband.net
04-21-2002, 04:54 PM
This is probably a dumb question but what is "ACC" When I go to VU to set speeds I get the last item, which is ACC speed. What is it?

Also my tool will change speeds on me and frequently I do not know why. I have taken to putting a speed command at the beginning of each part file, but many times after I quit cutting and go to the keyboard to move the tool it will be set at a very slow speed. Anyone know why?

rgbrown@itexas.net
04-21-2002, 10:04 PM
ACC is accessory - can be a number of different things - rotary table or spindle move.

Does the tool change speeds after you register an axis? If so, the speed settings in the "zero-axis.sbp" file may be resetting your commands.

Speed commands at the start of a file is good tool management.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

dmdraper
04-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Tom,

If you use the same part files over and over, I'd suggest also checking those files for an extraneous VS command. I've never had the speed setting just change all by itself. None-the-less, you're practice of setting the speed at the beginning of each file is a good habit to get into - as Ron said.

Dave D.

toml@starband.net
04-29-2002, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

I am using Bobcad to generate the "G" code tool path. At the start of the file you can call up a screen that sets the tool speed. The settting is done with a number such as F5. This undoubtedly means something to a FANUC controller. During the writing of the file the program will add speed commands at various times. When the file is then converted into an SBP file these sppear as MS commands.

It turns out that the easiest way around this is to use the edit function of the Shopbot software. The speed commands within Bobcad seem to be linear but don't really relate to speeds you can identify from within Shopbot. For instance the F5 command will yield a speed of .08 inches per sec.

When I bought the machine a couple of years ago I was told that either Bobcad or (I think) vector would be a good software choice. Bobcad has been a good choice, easy to learn and use. Unfortunately I think I went out and bought a Beta VCR.

bruce_clark
04-29-2002, 11:16 PM
Mr. Lempicke,

According to my calculations, F5 (for inches per minute) divided by sixty equals .08333. Drop off the .00333 then that is where you get .08 for your MS command.

If you do not want the G-code converter to change your cutting speed, either removed or edit out the F# command in Bobcad.

As for the Beta VCR/Bobcad analogy, I will assure you, there are a LOT of people using Bobcad. Not as many Shopbot users, but a lot machinist use it.

With Vector being given away free with a machine, why buy Bobcad? With that being said, I too started out with Bobcad (before I had a Shopbot) but I have switched from Bobcad to Vector (with a lot of pushing from Fred!).

Bruce Clark

imserv@imsrv.com
04-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Bruce, that was just an educational process. ;-)

Fred