PDA

View Full Version : Trying to ramp down around small corners

symson@southwind.net
03-24-2005, 08:20 AM
I have been trying to get my PRT96 to slow down as it approaches .25 diameter and .5 diameter outside corners on some acrylic window panes we are machining. I have messed with every setting I can think of. I am machining at a speed of 2.

I have tried changing the size definition of a small circle in the VU command.

I do not understand what the Slow Corner Speed setting is. I have tried setting it low.

Any suggestions.

Thank You
Alan

propellers
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Alan, I approach this problem by just putting a MS command in the cutting file where I want speed changes.

Lonnie

Alan Simpson (Unregistered Guest)
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Lonnie does yours come to a stop at the MS command. When I tried that it would stop at the MS command before the curve then continue same after the curve. Not a smooth transition betwwen speeds.

Alan

srwtlc
03-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Alan,

Try changing your move ramp distance and maybe the ramp speed under VR. Try setting the slow corner to a higher % once. Also, if you set the small circle resolution down to 0.01 or so it can smooth out those small arcs.

I've tried the MS thing for other situations, and it does cause a pause in movement.

Scott

propellers
03-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Alan, I do not see a stop in movement, at the start of the file I insert the SC 1 command, this stopped the jerking as the program executed. I cut usually @ 1.25" instead of the 2" your are using, perhaps that has an effect

03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Scott can define what the slow corner setting does.

Lonnie I tried SC 1 at the beginning this morning and still had the pause at the MS command.

Every on is welcome to give their thoughts on this.

Alan

srwtlc
03-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Alan,

The tool tip that pops up when mousing over that setting states this "Percentage to slow from full speed on gentle corners". The range is 20% to 99%. Supposedly you would slow down anywhere from 20% to 99%. With my PRT I have found minimal affect with this, I think it comes into play more on a Alpha machine. The best way to tell what difference it makes is to do a test run at both ends of the scale and find the sweet spot.

Scott

03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Scott,
I missed that completely. I had been looking in the user manuals and such. It would seem that it would be the perfect setting.

Alan