View Full Version : Vertical text using corel9 or autocad lt

rona
03-08-2003, 05:33 PM
could someone provide me assistance. I need to cut some vertical street signs and I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to generate vertical text in either corel9 or autocad lt. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

papadaveinwy
03-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Ron I don't use either one for text but if you do an alinement of text (justify) set at center alignment, then type each letter and hit enter after each one they will be in full alinement with each other then when you finish typing you can then size them as one unit. David in Wyoming

gerald_d
03-09-2003, 01:22 AM
I don't understand the question, but maybe you want to try DeskEngrave (http://www.deskam.com/deskengrave.html) from DesKAM (http://www.deskam.com/)? It must the simplest (and free) way to make dxf files from any text. Download (http://www.deskam.com/DLOAD/DeskEngrave.Exe) 586kB file

papadaveinwy
03-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Gerald I believe what Ron wants to do is this.

T
E
X
T >>>>> anyway that is Text in a veritcal David in Wyoming

rona
03-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks David...sometimes the solution is so simple.

I guess I just couldn't see the forest for the trees.
I had it in my mind the text must be "converted" to vertical.

I'm sure your solution will work fine.
also thanks to Gerald

papadaveinwy
03-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Ron don't be dishearted I had to think for a secound. my program I use has a place for the text to be modified "converted" to be vertical, horizontal or on a diagonal. David in Wyoming

gerald_d
03-10-2003, 11:07 AM
So that is vertical text.

Funny, every time we do a sign with multiple lines, we fiddle with the vertical spacing, and end up programming each line separately, then moving the vertical space manually. I suspect that for vertical text, we would program each letter and re-arrange them manually to fill the space available.

But then again, we havn't yet been asked to do many street signs, with many different words. Sounds like you have a nice order Ron!

papadaveinwy
03-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Gee Gerald, I guess we just do it the hard way. Like Pick the font, Type the text, justify and size the entire text in that font, save as dxf, run the bot. can be done in nanosec. I guess I'm more interested in making money than playing with my software{
} David in Wyoming

gerald_d
03-11-2003, 01:33 AM
David, I do use AutoCAD LT as probably the most important breadwinner for my family, but it is not the best signmaking software. That is why I complement it with the DeskEngrave freeware (plus Vector & VCArvZ).

I have not yet found a way, working entirely within LT, to export the outlines of fonts as .dxf files. Would be grateful to anybody that has experience of doing this. (We have LT2000).

shawn_xof1
03-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Gerald... I use autocad 2000I, I did a quick internet search and it appears the Autocad Express tools work with LT 2000 as well. Express tools simply adds another drop down menu. Besides a wide range of very useful tools there is a specific command called 'text explode' It'll turn all your text outlines into polylines. This method works perfect to save as a R12DXF and convert in ShobBot. If you have a file e-mail it to me and I'll explode it and send back so you can see what it'll do. I am not sure about licensing. I believe express tools is only available right on the Autocad 2000I CD. But then again it could be a very inexpensive add in, available somewhere in the internet.

Hope this helps...
Cheers
Shawn

gerald_d
03-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks Shawn. I think that confirms for me that LT does not have a standard (free-of-charge) facility for "exploding" text. In real life, we have no problems to "explode" text, we just use one of our other programs (DeskEngrave, Vector or VCarvZ). Making signs is not a major income earner, so we will stick with what we have. Thanks again for the info on the facility in "Express Tools".