PDA

View Full Version : Part Wizard and Vcarve Pro

harryball
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
What can Part Wizard do that Vcarve Pro can not? I was surprised looking over the trial version at how similar they are. It looks like Vcarve Pro will do everything Part Wizard does and more... is this the case?

Can you import or otherwise get your part wizard projects into vcarve?

Robert

Brady Watson
09-17-2006, 10:15 PM
You can't get your PW files into VCW.

Personally I like the drawing tools in PW better than VCW. I only use VCW for v-carving and nothing else. It is worth having just for the ability to v-carve anything. Don't feel you need to use all of VCW's capabilities if you only want to v-carve & have already invested in learning PW.

-B

mikejohn
09-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Why on earth would you want to put PW files into Vcarve Pro?

If you only have PW, have learned how to use it, and can't afford any of the more professional CAD programs, then go with it.
But at least look at the other stuff to see what you are missing!

..............Mike

Brady Watson
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Mike I think that Robert meant importing PW .ART files into VCW to get the vectors out of it...

-B

mziegler
09-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Why on earth would you want to put PW files into Vcarve Pro?
It would be to move your existing PartWizard drawings over to Vcarve where there is better Vcarving and better tabbing.
I also like the drawing better in PartWizard. Mark

harryball
09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Here is what I meant...

I am looking over the trial version of Vcarve Pro because I want to V-carve things. I was expecting a program that would let me V-carve and that's about it. Instead it appears to have 100% of what Part Wizard has and then some.

1) I wanted to confirm what I'm seeing... does Vcarve Pro have 100% of the functionality of Part Wizard?

So the question comes to my mind... why do I want to create a project in 2 places? I have a simple planter that I want to custom V-carve a design or names on. I have the original in PW and another in VCP to get my name spacing... why?

2) So why don't people buy Vcarve Pro and stop using PW altogether? I mean... I don't see that the program functionality is all that different.

3) Which leads me to... If it is the case that VCP does 100% of PW and more... is there a way to import my almost 40 .art project files into VCP so I can stop using PW?

Some other things I like about VCP is the preview of the tool pathing and the final product preview. I can actually show someone the wagon side panel with names engraved... that is if I take the time to recreate the entire panel in VCP... which then makes me wonder why I would still use PW when VCP can create the profile tool path cut.

Not throwing rocks at PW, it does great. Just trying to make sense of the software.

Robert

mikejohn
09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
My mistake.
I thought that the question was if someone already has both programs. I can see if you have existing files how you then might look to import them.

I really must take more time reading!

.........Mike

phil_o
09-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I have PW and VCarve. I have pretty much abandoned using PW. It's a very useful program and it's included when purchasing a shopbot. PW has more CAD capability, there are some very handy editing tools that VCarve doesn't have. However, most of what I do VCarve handles very well. R Ball mentioned some of the advantages. It is not possible to import a PW drawing into VCarve. That is something I would like to see.

mziegler
09-20-2006, 09:15 AM
I also have PW and Vcarve and still use them both. I am using PW less and less and Vcarve more and more. PW does CAD better and also I can import nesting into PW. All my old projects are in PW so I continue to use it for that purpose. Also it too much a hassle to convert all that stuff over to Vcarve. PW is not being upgrade by Artcam and if you want to upgrade you need put out big bucks for the other Artcam packages. There more things can be done in Vcarve, the big ones are v carving, tabbing and texturing. Another big plus for Vcarve is that it is being upgraded and likely more features will be added. Mark

harryball
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
I got Vcarve Pro 3.1 and have been using it today... surely I'm missing something here... for all the great stuff and more features... how do I measure something? There seems to be no grid lines, no rulers, no tape measure, no node position indication or editing.

If it has no measuring capability... I'm sitting here wondering how in the heck I'm supposed to create a 4 sided shape with all the sides of specific but different lengths.

What have I missed?

Robert

harryball
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I emailed vectric support, there are no measuring tools in VCPro. None whatsoever. So to answer my own question, one difference is that you currently can't measure anything in VCPro.

Robert

scott_smith
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I sometimes use the move command and check opposite corners to verify size and location of vectors.
Hope it helps.
Scott

paco
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Robert,

have you post this as a feature request on the VETRIC forum... I can tell that it's already been requested and I would bet that they plan on adding this feature in next release. Adding your "vote" would just put more "pressure" on those good fellow.

paco
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I have this bookmark (http://www.iconico.com/index.aspx) that you might want to have a look at...

sarge
10-19-2006, 12:49 AM
I must agree with David. I do the serious designing in CorelDraw, import the vector file into V_Carve Pro, tweak it and let it do the part file conversion for me. The profile cutting, drilling, pocket cutting features along with the V-carving make it a real user-friendly software package, not to mention it works with a multitude of fonts. Sarge

harryball
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
My only real gripe with PW is that it can not export to a dxf or any other meaningful file. I like to lay my project out with all vectors in one place so I can see the product at one time. If I purchase and use Corel then I would end up importing into VCPro, not PW.

I have a bat house design that has a vcarve on it. It's the logo of the organization for which I'm making the houses. I've also have an order to make several dozen house kits for a shcool and they want a logo. PW is MUCH better at laying the parts out... in fact I gave up on VCPro due to the frustration factor of no measuring and no polyline creator, no clip tool etc... I just need to get my dxf imported into it so I can tool path.

When I run the .sbp file through the .dxf creator the parts end up with rounded corners.

So I end up in yet another program before it's over with. I have TurboCad but have not had time to learn it... but I'll either be forced to do so or purchase Corel which I have used before.

Robert

lpcsales
10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
For the curious, here's the preview image created of the same file in V-CarvePRO...no problems or 'limitations'!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/V-VarveProAztec.jpg

David

paco
10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
110% normal. You get the exact message meaning... just make sure you read it all.

Move on to VETRIC!

Brady Watson
10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
OK...that's the screen you mean. Well, PW only lets you v-carve 10 selected fonts, and no free-form shapes...I guess that is better than zero considering that it was 'free'...On to VCW then. Looks like Paco is getting the party started.

-B

harryball
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
David,

PW does not Vcarve... that's part of what I've been talking about. I have VCPro and it is not an especially grand program to create parts in but does vcarving very well.

So read THIS-->> If you buy VCPro you will NOT be able to take ANY of your PW creations into VCPro. PW does not save/export anything that VCPro (or any other program) can import.

While I can take an .sbp file and convert it to a .dxf and bring it into VCPro, the final results are not identical. Edges get rounded, poly line information changes etc...

I thought that might be worth mentioning before you plop down some cash.

Robert

Brady Watson
10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Robert,
PW v-carves 10 select fonts. It will not v-carve designs. Only the fonts that are highlighted in yellow. If you upgrade to Insignia or Pro, you can open up your PW files in either one. (They have the same exact interface with more tools...and no learning curve on what you already do in PW)

David,
I like the DelCAM stuff and think that their products are some of the best and easiest to use of the CAD/CAM packages. When I bought my tool they just switched over from Vector, which in my opinion (and many others) was just too difficult for the new guy to learn. It had more functionality than PW, but it left quite a bit to be desired on the interface/ease of use. So...ShopBot worked with DelCAM to come up with a CAD/CAM package that was easy to use that had a lot of functionality for a small price...so getting into CNC got a LOT easier than it used to be, while keeping customer's out of pocket costs low. Many companies don't include ANY CAD/CAM software with the basic tool package.

The next program in the tier is Insignia. It offeres quite a bit more than PW, all of the 2D tools that Pro has in it, in addition to many, many more options on just about every screen. You get nesting, advanced toolpathing options, inlays, prismatic letters, 2D 'rest machining', engraving, export capabilities, raster to vector conversion...it goes on & on. I don't know the price off the top of my head, but I think that it is around $2500-3000 or so. It is not in the same class as VCW, and with all software packages, you get what you pay for...and only pay for what you think you need. If you are running a business, the new capabilites that it would add would pay for themselves very quickly. If you only need to do v-carving, then VCW is hard to beat.

-B

jeff_guinn
10-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Brady,
I'm not aware of any other software, even at twice the price of VCPro, that is able to render designs as quickly & accurately in almost any material. They excel in both vcarving,beveling profiles & also provide rest machining in their vcarving strategies,etc., plus customer support on par with ShopBot.
Jeff

mikejohn
10-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Robert
Before spending many thousands of dollars look at some of the recently upgraded CAD software, and see what you can get the previous version for. Someone recently posted (but I can not find it), a sub $100 for TurboCad. Also eBay is a great source for 'last version' software bargains, although beware the possibilities buying from eBay of no support,(no transferable licence) or worse,pirate software.

It comes down to what you are wanting to do. If you can be more specific in your needs, we can perhaps help more.
I use the full AutoCad program. Many don't need all the capabilities of this, although no program is going to be more accurate or have more CAD features.

.........Mike

normand
10-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Jeff
At twice the price of vcpro you could get Visualmill ,it will vcarv any thing and fonts and also do 3d wich insigna wont do even at 2 or 3 thousand dollard . www. mecsoft.com

Forum Admin
10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
"When I run the .sbp file through the .dxf creator the parts end up with rounded corners"

Post on this moved to Part Wizard topic

jeff_guinn
10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Normand,
Will it produce an exact rendering of the part in the material of your choice for customer approvals as easily & quickly as VCPro? Is it as intuitive & quick to learn by a novice? You are certainly correct about 3D capabilities,but I wonder how many people really use this in their day to day operations.There's also VA3D-Machinist which is free for those that only want to cut 3D designs.I'm not aware of any software that is the answer to all needs,but I sure wish that VCPro was available years ago when I started. I'm sure the guys at Vetric are quite aware of Insignia & Pro's capabilities & are catering to a niche market by eliminating some of its' seldom used tools & streamlining the most often used ones.If I just received my ShopBot,never used CAD-like software & wanted to immediately be productive cutting profiles & engraving,I would choose VCPro without a doubt.These programs plus an inexpensive CAD program should handle most situations that are not product specific,such as cabinet making,etc.. Like all opinions,this is my own.
Jeff

lpcsales
10-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Robert, Here is an example of a job I recently did using VCpro. I designed the counter top entirely in CorelDraw X3 and exported as EPS. Imported the EPS file into VCpro and assigned the toolpaths. The job includes both V-Carving as well as profile cutting, including edge routing, tabbies and cutout. This was cut from a 4' x 4' piece of MDF, primed and painted it with white Gloss enamel paint and it looks fantastic!
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/CounterTop.jpg
This picture is the rendering from within VCpro, but looks just like the part turned out.
VCpro was highly recommended to me by Diane when I was at the ShopBot factory. ...and the ShopBot I purchased from them, btw, is one great machine.

Great bunch of folks at Shopbot!

normand
10-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Jeff
Vmill basic will give you a good rendering. As fast as vcpro I dont know? Quick to learn by a novice probably not no wizzard or canned routine. As to how many people use 3d in day to day operation I dont care and I wonder why you should. You have to decide for yourself. Like you say no software will do it all better than anoher one. VCpro look very fast to learn maby because there is not that much to learn , excellent for new user. The cad in vmill is poor. Now why do I prefer vmill? expandability, add rhino to it and you have a powerfull cad cam all in one no import,export all under one roof. If later you get an indexer Vmillpro will do 4axes ,and even 5axes but who care for now... One software to learn, noting lost like all the time taken to learn pw and not been able to use the file for nothing else then delcam. I understand SBot is commited to delcam and now VcWizzard. And of course will highly recomend these products. Dont get me wrong I like my shopbot it was a eye opener to the cnc world, and I want my software and files to follow me if I outgrow this machine. It is of course a matter of opinion
Forum admin , this post may not be at the right place or wanted

andre
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I bought Turbo cad for $99 and $75 for training cd. Of course, all of the nice functions that the training cd demos, my version doesn't have. The learning curve on cad programs in my opinion is very high especially if you are trying to learn it on your own. I am awaiting my new bot and have been practicing with PW and so far i have been able to design and create all my cabinet parts and other creative deigns I have floating in my head with relative ease. I love it! I am sure I will buy VCP. Its good to listen to evryones opinions about it. It sounds like I would use VCP for vcarving and other difficult tool pathing, tabbing, drilling and nesting.
Just my 2 cents