View Full Version : What Program would you suggest for a newbie....

CHRIS EVERS
09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
DOES ANYONE USE "TYPE 3" SOFTWARE WITH THEIR SHOP BOT.

palindrome@worldspy.net
12-31-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm looking at the shopbot to use in my woodshop, for doing "light production." What program would you recommend/suggest that doesn't have a steep learning curve like autocad, it wont be used for anything overtly complicated or fancy, and is realtively easy to import over to the shopbot software.

ANY information/suggestions/recommendions would be greatly appericated.

Thank you

odysseywood@home.com
Ian,
I have been using DesignCAD for about 8 years and have had great results. I found DesignCAD to easy to learn and it has a lot of features found in higher end CAD programs. The program is a complete 2D/3D package that will import and export dwg and dxf as well as several other formats. After doing my drawings in DesignCAD I export the file into Vector and use it to setup my machining sequence and write the shopbot part file. I have found this combination to be fast and reliable. Of course a lot has to do with personal preferance and what you become use to.
Vector software can be purchased from ShopBot and DesignCAD can be purchased direct from them. Their web site http://www.designcad.com

jforney
Ian
I was at your exact position when I bought my Shopbot. I bought Vector and have been very satisfied. I originally bought Vector because it writes native code for the Shopbot. I just didn't want to use translation programs. While learning any CAD is difficult Vector has been reasonable. I really like the CAM portion of the program since what I draw is only two mouse clicks away for a shopbot program ready to cut. The service and the fact that Vector has a Forum hosted by Fred Smith are a real plus.

Vector has, along with Shopbot, changed the way I run my business (a custom cabinet and furniture shop). Also when you buy your shopbot check on the very attractive deal Shopbot has on Vector.

John Forney

bruce_clark
Mr. Bushell,

If you do not "know" a cad, I would whole
heartedly recommend Vector. It allows you to
create your drawings, give you direct control
over machining order and produces ShopBot code
directly.

Now, if you have learned to use another drawing
program, Vector is a little different (almost
backwards) in its operation, but if you have never
used a drawing program before, it will seem very
natural.

One thing, what ever program you buy, it will take
some learning to become proficient at it. There
is no way to avoid the learning curve, but the
same can be said for computer controlled routers.

One thing I did to help learn to use my CAD, was
to take a day or two off and unhook the phone and
sit down and work ALL the examples in the manual
twice, first following the steps in the book and
the next time, trying to do it on my own.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)