View Full Version : Dual Z Mods

Gary Campbell
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM
My latest project was installing a dual Z on my machine. It must have taken a long time to get here as I had way to much time to think about what modifications were needed.

The main changes from OEM were adding a 27 conductor shielded cable from the control box to panel mounted on the YZ car. The X & Y prox switches were rewired to the panel, prox were added to the upper limits of the Z & A, one was added to each of the ARO drills. A rotary actuator switches dust collection from A to Z. Air clamping cylinders were added to the Z & A extrusions to hold the dust foot bar in the extrusion.

Here is a pic:

I added a spindle start button, switches for air blower nozzles, one to defeat the automatic dust control "on with spindle", a laser cross, and one that turns off air to the drill motors for zeroing. 2 air toggles on the sides control the dust foot clamps.

Here is a closup of the control panel:

Gary

beacon14
10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Good grief Gary, I've seen airplane cockpits that were not that impressive.

Nice work.

Gary Campbell
10-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Dave...
I just posted a video of the dust foot clamps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNOwXWgFgb4

Enjoy, Gary

kc10flteng
10-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I want one!!!!!!!!!!

dana_swift
10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Gary the dust foot clamps are beyond cool. I think Ted outta license the design from you, no future bot should ever be without one.

D

Gary Campbell
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Dana...
I have about 20 of the small clamping cyinders left, maybe I should make up some kits?
Gary

chiloquinruss
10-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Please put me on the list if ya' do!
Russ

dana_swift
10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Gary, I would be a buyer. The biggest problem I have with the dust foot is the hassle of taking it on and off and getting it out of the way during bit changes. I end up leaving it off and just sweep up the mess..

You are controlling the release with a solenoid valve and pneumatics correct?

D

Gary Campbell
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Dana...
Half right. Pneumatic cylinder and mechanical valve. The toggles shown are actually a 5 port mechanical air valve. I would have used a solenoid valve, but already have 6 valves on the YZA car and am very close to using up all 8 outputs. I really wanted to use a NC output circuit for the clamp & have the software dump the dust feet on a bit change routine.

Let me see how to make a slide adapter that fits the OEM dust foot. I mentioned above that I have 20 of the cylinders left. If I can be happy with an adapter to the OEM, then I will post the kits for sale to see if there is interest.
Gary

dana_swift
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Mechanical valve is simple, just harder to run tubing than wires. Manual control for that application is just fine, I cant see any reason to automate the release, it would just make it possible to dump the dust foot at some inopportune time due to a glitch.

Keep me posted as to your kit availability.. I can see that as a huge improvement over the SB attachment thumbscrew method.

D

Gary Campbell
10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks Dana..
You are on the list.
BTW: I am currently using 4mm tubing. Harder to work with than a #24 wire required for the solenoid valve, but not that bad.

Gary

Gary Campbell
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Here's a link to the Dust collector hose switch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBI6y3VJqE
Gary

alister
12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
If this is still open, could you put me on the list.
Alister.

Gary Campbell
12-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Alister...
We are currently rearranging all the "furniture" in our shop. I should have the first batch ready around the time of our Camp in Feb.
Gary