PDA

View Full Version : PDF to DXF conversion

zeykr
09-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I needed to create some parts from drawings I got in pdf format and was looking for the easiest way to get them into a vector format. After considerable looking I found a method to convert from pdf to dxf using freeware type software and thought I'd share it in case it would come in handy for someone else. I'm not sure that it will work for all drawings in pdf, but worked well for the ones I had, which I think were originaly created in corel and autocad.

To convert drawings stored in a pdf to a dxf file
---------------------
Install:

go to http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get814.htm
and download and install the 2 programs

AFPL Ghostscript 8.14 for Win32 (gs814w32.exe)
and
GSview 4.6 for Win32 (gsv46w32.exe)

then go to http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/

and download and install "binary for Windows 9x/2K/NT/XP" and place in the /program files/ghostgum/pstoedit/ directory

-------------------------------------------------
Conversion:

Run GSview 4.6 - it will be under programs/ghostgum on your windows start menu
Open the PDF file you wish to convert (file/open)

Choose edit/convert to vector file from the menu
select dxf: CAD Exchange Format
optionally you can choose to convert text to vector by selecting 'Draw text as polygons'

Click OK
Select the page of the pdf to convert if there are multiple pages in the pdf file
Choose where to store your dxf file and name it and click save

If there are multiple pages to be converted, you'll have to use Edit/Convert for each page and save as a different dxf file.

joe
09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Ken

We love to get PDF files. They are vectored from bitmaps.

I don't know what software you are useing but we use Flexisign 7.v5. I was talking with an Adobi software rep. yesterday he also confirmed that it is one of the easiest import files because you don't need much to open them up.

I am very interested to hear why you have to go to such trouble when this is supposed to be a vector export.

j

www.normansign.com (http://www.normansign.com)

gerald_d
09-09-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks for taking the trouble to tell us Ken!

zeykr
09-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Joe,
I'm using artcam and hadn't found a way to directly import them as vectors. If there's an easier way I'd love to know about it. So does flexisign direcly import the pdf's? I don't think artcam does.

I googled until I came up with the above method - there was other software in the several hundred to several thousand dollar range that would do it, but this was the free solution I came across.

Thanks

joe
09-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Ken,

I also have Artcam and will look it over to see if you can import PDF files without conversions.

As I mentioned we just open them directly in Flexisign but this is a large program which may be able to do something Artcam can't.

We use Artcam for writing G Codes only. It isn't very much of a design program and I don't know if it has the import filters necessary but I will sure find out tomorrow and let you know.

J

joe
09-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Ken,

Here is what I have found.

I don't have a PDF to import at this time so I put out a search to other sign artists to find out more about the process.

When a PDF is created, there is an option to save for modification, which allows the end user to open as a vector. This is in the Distillation process. The reason for PDF's is to have a uniform method of opening up a file that looks the same to everyone. Also, the file is supposed to be secure from manupilation, although there seems to be plenty of cracks now.

I also have received PDF files that I could only print from, but that has been some time.

I will call Artcam/Delcam on Monday to see what they know.