PDA

View Full Version : V Carve letter on a curve

clinton
02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
How do I go about vcarving letters on a curved seat back. I suppose that would be considered swept lettering? As opposed to text on a curve?
I use ArtCam Insignia and have access to ArtCam if that is what it takes.

Brady Watson
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM
First, you will need to create a relief the same curve as the chairback. Then use feature machining in ArtCAM.

-B

btk
02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Bruce,

I do not have ArtCam, however I have done this two ways using other CAM software.
(1) The first way (which I do not recommend, and will only look decent on relatively flat curves) was to create a V-Carve operation in my CAM software on a flat surface and then to send the resulting .sbp file through a custom program that would slightly modify the endpoints of each line segement based on the mathematical geometry of the curve and interpolations, etc.

(2) The second way takes much longer to machine, however works much better if you only need to do one or two panels.
First you need to 3D model the recesses in the letters to simulate the V-Carve effect on the curve and then machine using 3d Raster operation using a 60 degree v-carve bit and a very small stepover. Takes a bit of time, however came out great. I beleive using some of the Wrap and Pull functions of ArtCam, this should not take that long to model.

Brian

clinton
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Looks like the feature option in Artcam will work. Thanks for your help.