PDA

View Full Version : Making a bowl

brian
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to make a bowl.
removing material from the top part of the bowl is the easy part.How do I create a toolpath for the bottom that matches inside profile but offset .5 inches.

Thanks

phd1658
12-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Brian,

I'm not a profficient Artcam user, but am interested in what the real answer would be. I am assuming that you are starting out with a circle of a given diameter and then telling it to go down a certain number of degree arc. I think you just offset the circle by .5 inches and use the same number of degree arc. I haven't tried it yet, but if that doesn't work, you might try the Artcam forum

navigator7
12-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Brian,
I'm not fluent with toolpath creation with a SB but creating 3D files is more up my alley.
It seems to me you are over looking the ShopBot's ability to import an .stl file? (Or is it Aspire?)

I can't tell if you are trying to make the cutter go somewhere other than the model or if you are having trouble creating the 3D model in the first place?

Also...near as I can tell, you have to make a matchplate or locating pins to flip the part because you are only going to get 2.5D.

You need a separate tool path or more for the bottom or build the model in layers.

Disregard if I completely missed your point.

garyb
12-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Brian, you don't say which version of ArtCam your using.If you've already created the relief you will be looking for the ...back relief tools.. bottom of assistant tab

You would most likely want to run the back relief first or in your case the inside if I'm understanding you correctly.

brian
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm using Artcam 9
I would like to create a cut file with an offset of .5 from the inside toolpath.I want to be able to cut the inside flip it (using location device)and machine the bottom and have a wall thickness of .5
I've tried using the back relief but I'm having problems on how to use it after it's created.

Thanks Brian

mmccue29
03-22-2010, 07:59 AM
the key is to line it up. I use a fence. so that I can set it up in the same location when I turn it over.
If you use a two rail sweep you just have to redraw it with the new sizes

myxpykalix
03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
There is some examples and discussions about plates and bowls over in the vectric forum. Maybe you can glean some specific instructions from there that you can translate to artcam

do a search using bowl,plate i came up with 154 posts

Big-Tex
05-20-2010, 08:26 AM
This must be created as to separate files for cutting.
Also known as second face machining.

All there is to it is cutting one side, flip to other side making sure you line up and cut other side.. Key word is line up. If you have multiple pieces well designed fixture will help.