PDA

View Full Version : Engraving / Clean out tool passes

David Iannone
11-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I have artcam insignia, but recently purchased V-Carve Pro because of the texturing and the preview is great. My question, is there any way to use multiple tools on a flat bottom carve, like a 3/4" for clearing out the large areas, then come in with a 1/8" bit for all around the text or logo. Artcam lets multiple tools be assigned. Is this just somthing that V-Carve can't do? The only way I can think of getting around it is drawing a rough box in all the blank area and tooling that separate. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

tony_mac
11-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi David,

There is a 'Trick' to doing this in VCarve Pro.

Use the Flat Bottom VCarving / Engraving toolpath strategy.

Specify the required Flat Pocket Depth

The trick is to setup a cutter in the tool database that's an Engraving cutter where the Flat Diameter = the required diameter for the smaller End Mill ie 1/8". Specify a very slight Side Angle = 0.01 degrees as shown in the diagram below.

Select a larger conventional end mill to machine the bulk of the pocket. ie 3/4" End Mill

You can download a file that might help explain the above from,

http://vectric.com/vectric/images/shopbot/Multiple_tools.crv

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Tony

paco
11-19-2006, 10:37 AM
David,

depending on the depth and your needs, you may need to do a last inside profiling pass to clean up some leftover from the smaller tool. This is because it'll consider the angle you set in to trick VCP. The less deep it is, the less chance you'll need to to this.

Tony,

do you plan to implement this multiple use of tool in VCP?

David Iannone
11-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks Tony, that makes sense, I am also going to check out the link to the file just to make sure I get it right. I must say, I just started using the shopbot forum about two weeks ago even though I've had my bot for a few years, and this is great, I should have used it sooner. Thanks guys