PDA

View Full Version : ACAD 2000/Mechanical Desktop 4_MasterCam_ShopBot

cmrtom
01-06-2001, 07:14 AM
Craig, I use AutoCad for my 3-D work. AutoCad 14 has the ability to draw in X Y and Z. You draw the final cut of the file in one color out to the edge of the material, then you move the Z plane up a quarter of an inch and draw what is to cut in that plane. Repeat this process until you have removed all of the material. The key is that each layer of your program needs to be a different color. The Shop Bot will ask if it is 2 d or 3 d. Tell it 2 d and then as the request for depth of the color is asked designate the color to the depth. Use primary colors and it is pretty easy. I would use the initial outline of the guitar and then construct a offset around that outside every 1/4 inch or so. Keep doing that offset until all the material from your blank has been removed. Use .8 inch per second feed rate with a 2 fluted carbide ball end cutter of 1/2 inch in diameter and you have a few ridges to remove, but not much sanding will be required.

olivier
01-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Hello There,
For 3D work, the cheapest program available is Mill Wizard http://www.millwizard.com but the machining strategies are pretty basic. Another interesting and cheap programm is Millit http://www.millit.com.
But with a good Cad program you usually have functions that allow to create contour or slices from a part, at regular interval. Then you have to manually connect the path, or use vector to do one pocket per lever.
As I could not afford an high end programm like martercam, I have been studying the different machining strategies which are usually explained at great lenght in the software promotion material, and I then, like Thomas, I reproduce these strategies in Form Z. You have a complete control on the tool path, even better than most of the software you can get, but it takes times, and therer is no dynamic link between your geometry and the tool path.
I 'll go back on this subject with more info soon.

Olivier

jerryh
12-31-2003, 08:23 PM
We are just getting started with the ShopBot product for true 3D carving/cutting and would like to hear from anyone using this combination or some part of it.
Jerry Higginbottom

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
I would be interested in your's or anyone elses experience in 3D carving. IE can acceptable results be expected from low end software like TurboCAD, or are higher end programs like MasterCAM necessary?

dale
I am using Mastercam version 5.5 both at work and at home. I also teach CNC programming at night school using version 7.1.
The most difficult part is in creating the geometry. You have to plan ahead keeping the desired toolpath in mind. For instance, if you are using Flowline for the toolpath (one surface) you have to be sure that the toolpath does not interfere with another surface. Using multisurf is better, however, this option is only available with Level 3. (very expensive).
Mastercam will output G-code using the generic fanuc post and the G-code converter will quickly convert to S.B.
Only a few lines need to be edited before the conversion. You can edit the post processor to eliminate this process,however, unless you have been using Mastercam for many years, I wouldn't recomend this. I could E-mail you the one that I use if you are using the same version of Mastercam
The lines that need to be edited are:
Fixture offset- G54 etc. removed
Length offset- G43 removed
Drilling cycle- G99 or G98 removed
at the end of the program- remove G28
Hope this helps

Dale

kraig@fretshop.com
I'm am considering the shopbot for 3d work, the 3d software is all new to me any suggestions where to begin? I build guitars, and need it to pruduce fixturing as well.

stevel
01-28-2004, 10:08 PM
There is also two Mastercam post processors in the download area. One for a single Z and one for two z axis.
Steve