PDA

View Full Version : Inside/Outside Toolpathing issue

r_jones
01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
What am I missing?? Sometimes when I select lines the and select inside cutting it goes the outside or inside but regardless it's opposite. Take for instance a rectangle, in the past I have selected the line work only, select cut to ouside the vector only to have part works path two lines inside and two lines outside what gives??

Thanks,
Ron

dlcw
01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Ron,

So, in Partworks you draw a rectangle and tell PW to create a toolpath on the outside of the vector, it is creating a toolpath on the inside of the vector; or you tell PW to create a toolpath on the outside and it creates one on the inside? Am I understanding this correctly?

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

adrianm
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Check the corner settings on the toolpath. If you've got internal/external corners set when you're not expecting it it will generate a double toolpath.

If it's grayed out but set, change to a V-Bit, uncheck it and change back to a straight bit.

r_jones
01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I attached a screen shot of the issue. In this case I need to first cross cut the piece then rip so I have 4 separate vectors. As you will see in the attached pic I selected the two vertical vectors and choose to cut to the outside on each vector however the vector to the right ends up with the cut being inside??? I think this is just a case me not completely understanding the way partworks looks at what is considered "inside" and what is considered "outside"

Thanks guys!!

navigator7
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Coming from another CAD program, I'm wondering if this is an issue of vector direction?
As in...what direction each vector was drawn?

If you draw the line on the left down, what's telling the machine the line on the right is any different?

If you draw both horizontal lines in the same direction, one should be what you want but the other is wrong.
Attached is a screen shot explaining what I use in another CAD program to identify vector direction:

That aside, I know very little about Partworks. Just coming at the issue from another angle.

tmerrill
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Ron,

From Brian (Vectric):

"The 'side' for an open vector is determined by imagining that you are walking along the line from the start point towards the end. The 'left' offset is to your left, the right to your right side."

To apply this to your project, just enter node edit and change the start point to the other end of the vector.

Tim

Gary Campbell
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Ron...
If you notice when you select outside... it also says RIGHT. Read this as OUTSIDE of a closed vector and RIGHT of an open one. The same is true for INSIDE/LEFT.

The green dot is the start. For the vector on the right, simply select inside/LEFT and it will do as you wish.
Gary

r_jones
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
It all makes perfect sense now thanks so much for all the help!!!! This forum rocks!!

Thanks again,
Ron