PDA

View Full Version : Drawing to cutting file not working

brassrng
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I need to convert templates back into cutting files by tracing the original. The original cutting file is not available.
When tracing, then scanning the drawing so I can get it into Part Wizard, I get a poor file (saved my scan as a BMP).
What file format will minimize the labor needed to get closer to having a clean file I can use to make the SBP file?
I'm open to tips and tricks from you who have already done this kind of work!
Thanks
Jim

paul_a
01-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Jim

What method of tracing are you using ?

Try scanning and importing it as a eps or wmf file, then use the polyline tool in Part Wizard to copy the drawing, any curves or arcs can be created by using the convert span tool to a bezier or arc. when you have copied the drawing use the transform vector tools to resize your new copy to the size of your original.

I hope this helps

Paul

brassrng
01-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the tips Paul.
My original tracing was done with #2 pencil. I am redoing one today with fine point sharpie to see if my scan will be a stronger, more definite line.
With that, your polyline idea may stop the frustration!

We'll know soon
Jim
Brassrng@teleport.com (mailto:Brassrng@teleport.com)

fleinbach
01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Jim

Pencil lines don't copy very well. Use a pen preferably with black ink. This will copy very well.

paul_a
01-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Jim

How big and detailed are the parts, I little trick I have used is to place the part on a sheet of white paper and cut around it with a scalpel then place the cutout on a piece of black paper and then scan it....this gives a nice sharp detail.

Paul

jsfrost
01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I have done small templates with a scan and cleanup. With larger templates I have had sucess taking a digital photo of the template on a solid contrasting backgroung, then doing an edge detect and cleanup in a photo program followed by conversion to vector format and some manual vector cleanup.

paul_a
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Jim

The reason I asked about the template size was that I used some software on a project I worked on,
it could be better the plain digital pictures as it aids the calibration of the camera to reduce distortion in the picture.

There is a trial download at www.photomodeler.com (http://www.photomodeler.com)

Paul