PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ShopBot Computer

fleinbach
10-13-2004, 05:19 AM
I think this may be a good time to explain my method of setting up a computer to run the Shopbot. This is how I did it and I have never had a Windows related problem running the Shopbot. I applied this method on 3 differant computers. The first was a Toshiba 150MZ Laptop I ran for 3 months. Next I used a 600MZ AMD for 7 Months and for the past 3 months am using an 800MZ HP.

The first thing I do is install a fresh copy of WinXp. You have a choice to let windows install default options or do a custom insatall. I choose custom then remove all extra options accept networking. You don't need Games, Media player, internet Explorer, etc. etc. All these things are useless for running the Shopbot and only slow windows down. During the loading you have an option to continue or reformat. I choose reformat because I want a perfectly clean copy of XP running.

I activate networking one way only. I do not share any drives, this stops viruses from getting in. Also this is a good time to point out I do not install any anti virus programs, they are not needed since you are not going on the internet with this computer. It is a known fact that they can screw up a lot of programs. My main server contains all my data files. I can access the cut files from this dedicated Shopbot computer that where produced from my main working computer. With this setup none of my other computers on the network can see or access the Shopbot computer.

I now do two more things to complete the installation. I install the latest Shopbot software and then using Acronis True Image I make an image file of the installation. This is very important to me because now If something should screw up my installation I can reload everything in under 5 minuites right back the way it was. What could possibly screw up this simple installation, well several things. A power failure, the Shopbot software crashing and even improper input from the operator. What I mean by improper input is hitting a rapid combination of keystrokes can crash windows or the shopbot software. I'm a bit hyper and have done this many times.

I'm not sure but maybe I should have started a new thread for this explination.

Support
10-13-2004, 09:21 AM
"I'm not sure but maybe I should have started a new thread" ---
Great explanantion, Frank, and definitely deserving of its own thread.