PDA

View Full Version : Offset vectors

jporter
08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I am making some curved vectors in Aspire that I offset to eventually make a two rail sweep. I am trying to make these curved vectors useing a poly-line that I will smooth the nodes and shape to fit my design. I figured that all I had to do was use the "off set" feature and I would have every thing all made. The vectors do off set, but when I need to go to node edit mode to make minor adjustments, the off set vectors will not let me choose the "smooth", or "blue" function for the node. That is, they remain black with out the bezier handles. I hope I am explaining this well. I have checked the Aspire Help guide, but nothing is said about not being able to change a black node to blue. Any help would be appreciated, joe

bob_s
08-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Try Right mouse clicking on the line segment in question, between the node points, and then pick Bezier or arc from the fly out menu.
Bob

tmerrill
08-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Joseph,

You can also use the Edit,Curve Fit Vectors to reduce the number of nodes on what you currently have.

However, your best bet may be to select your original vector and instead of using the offset command, simply copy and paste to make a new one, then select Move Selected Vector command to offset it the amount you want. When you do this, the offset vector is identical to the original, that is the same number of nodes in the same locations on the vector. This won't work for all designs, but if it does it's the best way.

Tim

jporter
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Bob, Tim, thanks for the replies. I am getting ready to try both of these suggestions. I have probably bitten off more than I can chew on this particular project, (duplicating a design on a friends bedrail). But, I figure it is good practice. Thanks again, joe

jporter
08-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Guys, I just figured out what I did wrong; when I did my off set, the resulting curve was a big long string of black nodes. Then I used the "fit curves to selected vectors" command. This resulted in just a few nodes. Unfortunately, I for got to choose the "Bezier Curves" button on the control panel. Now everything is working fine. Now, if I could just learn how to draw..... joe