PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot probe file Converter

bwclark@centurytel.net
03-07-2005, 12:58 AM
If you have a fancy Shopbot probe and would like to convert that data into a TRUE 3D DXF surface, then I have good new for you.

I am working on a ShopBot Probe to DXF Surface program and am looking for Probe files to verify, find bugs, or idiosyncrasys in the output.

Currently, the program generates a 3D DXF file AND a grayscale BMP file from the probe data. This is very similar to the Roland Picza software. The DXF file should open in just about ANY CAD program (Rhino, Artcam Pro, ect) while the BMP file is for use with the 'ShopBot Image to SBP' converter. This BMP file can also be used for building a 'Probe File Catalog', displaying the probe file on the internet or quick verification of probe data, ect.

Ok, so here is how you can get a Alpha copy (that means it is definately NOT ready for public release). Email me a ShopBot probe file that you would like converted (please Zip compress the file). I will run it through the converter to verify the output. Upon verification of output, I will email you back the Probe2SBP program (the converted DXF files are too large to email--generally). You will also then be put on my email list of beta testers who will receive updates as they appear. This should put you a good month ahead of the general release of this software.

Again, no probe file, no converter. Sorry I am being so strict about this, but I REALLY need to test a wide variety of ShopBot Probe files to verify the output. Also, ALL probe file submissions are strictly confidential, unless otherwise noted.

Please email submissions to:

bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

Please include the word "Probe" in the subject line.

Thanks,

Bruce Clark

bruce_clark
03-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Here is a sample BMP created by the probe2surface program.

Bruce

Brady Watson
03-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow Bruce!
This is going to be great!

All of you people out there with the probe that have tried to get a tweakable surface from a scanned object...well our day is quickly approaching!

-Brady

bruce_clark
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
First off, Thank You for everybody who has sent me Shopbot probe files. I guess I do need to clarify things a bit. Right now, it only works with the ShopBot '.SBP' output type probe files. The DXF output is currently unsupported, but that will change as well. I just want to get one debugged before I start working on the other.

So, please send .SBP probe files!

Also, understand that this is VERY early in the program's life. The user interface is very simple and will under go a whole face lift once I get the back end stuff sorted out. Now, if you come from a DOS/other operating system background, it is a STANDARD windows interface. To load a file, you use the 'File -> Open' and then to start the conversion process, you use 'File -> Save as DXF'. When you are done you select 'File -> Quit'. Now, the information that is grayed out is standard 'Non editable' fields that the program will fill out once the conversion process is started. This information is important IF you plan on using the 'Image to ShopBot' converter (that should be available soon!). It is also usefull for determining _IF_ you want to reduce the output before conversion (one ~2000x~2000 point probe file generated a 594 MEGABYTE DXF file). In this case, a little reduction in file size was in order.

Oh, a note about the reduction. This is a reduction 'factor'. An input of 1 is original size, while a factor of 2 is one half the samples/data (but the dimensions are the same). A reduction of 4 is one quarter the samples of the original resulting in a file that is 16 times smaller, though the dimensions are still the same.

Hopefully, that is as clear as mud. It will make sense (I hope) once you run the program.

Thanks from all those who have participated and keep the probe files comming!

Bruce

normand
03-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I use quick grid to convert probed dxf to true 3d dxf search the board for link.

normand
03-08-2005, 10:30 AM
relief

4511 (13.9 k)

bruce_clark
03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Again, I want to thank everybody who has sent in ShopBot probe files. To keep everybody update who is interested in the ShopBot Probe files to DXF surface converter, I asked some people if I could include some pictures of their Probe file output. Brady Watson was nice enough to not only allow me to post his output BMP file, but also a picture of the original scanned item.

BTW, Brady's file that he sent me was the worst Probe file that I have ever seen. I figured that if I could converter his file, I could converter ANYTHING!

Bruce Clark

bruce_clark
03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Brady's Original Object before scanning.

bruce_clark
03-10-2005, 10:18 PM
This is the converted probe file into a DXF Surface. (Show in Vector XT with shading on).

bruce_clark
03-10-2005, 10:19 PM
This is the BMP Output of the converter.

Brady Watson
03-11-2005, 09:32 AM
The DXF surface looks really good, Bruce!

I am suprised that others have not chimed in on this one...they must have no idea what this converter utility brings to the table.

Here's what I was getting off of the probe before and the surface Bruce did above:

Notice that the one on the left (surfaced in Rhino) has it's relief offset 1/2 the diameter of the probe to the outside. In this case, 1/32". Bruce's one is a much closer representation of the part. Notice how much detail there is on the lower feathers and head/neck and how washed out my file is compared to the new one.

I'm lovin' this converter!

-Brady

jsfrost
03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
It looks to me like the bitmap alone, run with the appropriate converter, has the information to create a cut file. 3D clipart? I'm out of town for a few days, or I would try this out.

Jim

bruce_clark
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Jim,

You are 100% correct. That "appropriate" software should be available in the NEXT ShopBot Controller update (hopefully, VERY SOON!). That is one of the main reasons WHY this feature is included.

Bruce